• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who dares to question the great and powerful OZ?

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I'm not a fan of FaceBook. It's mainly as I recognize the invasive nature of it's operation and how it detracts from participation in quantifiable, searchable platforms like this forum.

From CBS Sunday Morning-

Recent studies show articles that peddle misinformation on social media platforms like Facebook get many more shares, comments and likes than factual content – which creates a profit motive to keep the spigot of medically-false conspiracy theories flowing. Correspondent David Pogue talks with experts about how difficult it is to find out just how widespread misinformation is on Facebook; and with a doctor whose emergency room has been flooded with COVID patients, many of whom were unvaccinated, or even refuse treatment, because of spurious medical claims they'd seen on social media.

"One third of Americans get their news from FB"- :eek

Decide for yourself.

OM

Genie's out of the bottle -- Facebook has gotten so stupidly rich from their unethical practices that, like Google, it's pretty much impossible now to make them change.

I honestly don't see a way this gets solved. I read another article recently that Facebook's new strategy against these kinds of stories and articles is to, get this, release its own pro-Facebook propaganda, and replace a certain percentage of advertisements on the website itself with pro-Facebook advertisements. Stuff like claiming how much they care about combating misinformation, etc.

The sad thing is it'll probably work.

60 Minutes is doing a segment on FB tonight including the “chief” whistleblower on how the internals have come to run.
OM

…or here.

As it was said in the 60s, the media are the message.

Our media are a reflection of ourselves. Facebook meets, among many other needs, our desire for convenience. It mixes a wide variety of interactions (family, interests, etc.) into one user interface, simplifies the posting of multimedia, and then feeds us content via algorithms that make it even more convenient.

The only way to fight it is to turn it off. :nod

If you have not watched The Social Dilemma, (trailer below) it is very insightful.

Personally, I feel this is a very serious thing, it drives out real-world interaction and watching my grandkids stare blankly into the screen scares the crap out of me. Fortunately, their parents hear about it from Opa! :evil

Seriously, the only way to combat this is to turn it off.

It is very, very convenient for Facebook to have an outage right now the day after the 60 Minutes episode and the day before the whistleblower testimony. 60 Minutes had them trending on Twitter and now that trend has been killed off by all the talk of the outage.

According to that article some serious backend Internet mechanisms got wiped out to cause the outage. From what I know after a brief career in IT, that kind of damage just doesn't happen via external attack. Someone with internal access to very high-level Facebook server controls made it happen and the only question is why.

Looks like an internal update gone seriously wrong. Techs then got locked out of remote access and they had to dispatch a team to their data center routers to apply fixes on site. The timing sure seems suspect though so stay tuned.

Chose cassettes over 8-track…….. Skipped Facebook……. Feelin’ pretty good. :dance :dance :dance :dance
om

........maybe this?

"People are living their lives remotely from the safety of their own homes via robotic surrogates -- sexy, physically perfect mechanical representations of themselves. It's an ideal world where crime, pain, fear and consequences don't exist. When the first murder in years jolts this utopia, FBI agent Greer (Willis) discovers a vast conspiracy behind the surrogate phenomenon and must abandon his own surrogate, risking his life to unravel the mystery."

:evil :deal

om

Never a fan

I've never been a fan of Facebook or any other social media, for that matter. What it's doing to kids these days is horrible. I, too, watch my grandkids stare at a screen watching Youtube vids (not social media), and frankly just not engaging. Social skills are not being learned, instead they're experiencing "life" through social media.

Does it have its uses? Sure. It's a great way to communicate with loved ones, especially those that are far away. You can share pictures, notes, etc. But its evil outweighs its usefulness, IMHO.

I'm not a member of any social media platform. My wife is, but uses it almost exclusively to communicate with our nieces and nephews, and her circle of friends who live out of town. I believe she has like 12 "friends".

“ No matter what new names the company comes up with, the name Facebook will remain forever ensconced in the collective intelligence as the company that screwed up the internet.”

Oh, I thought that was AOL!

Many moons ago, my agency created visualizations like this for clients who sold telecom gear. These concepts have been around for a while... :rolleyes

Back