• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

18k Mile Service Cost

larryk1100rs

Approaching the 18,000 mile service. Dealer quoted $1600-$1900 depending on whether valves needed adjustment. Does that sound right?

Holy s#$t. I live around StL. What are they going to do ? Seems very high. I had my 2013 GTL done there a few years back & it was no where near that. Do the oil and filter change yourself. Ask them to reuse the valve cover gasket if it’s still in good shape. Valve check should be around $800-900. If that’s what they are getting for the 18k valve check I’ll push my 2018 GTL a few miles farther down the road before I have mine done. I like the guys at GW but not that much.

Holy s#$t. I live around StL. What are they going to do ? Seems very high. I had my 2013 GTL done there a few years back & it was no where near that. Do the oil and filter change yourself. Ask them to reuse the valve cover gasket if it’s still in good shape. Valve check should be around $800-900. If that’s what they are getting for the 18k valve check I’ll push my 2018 GTL a few miles farther down the road before I have mine done. I like the guys at GW but not that much.

K bikes can normally go a lot of miles between valve checks.
When we had K1300Ss with a similar engine to the K1600 we went about 30,000 miles before the first valve check and they did not need adjustment.
They replaced the inner and outer valve cover gaskets and I was ok with that because it's really time consuming to get at them again if one happens to leak.
To save money I changed our engine and final drive oil, changed the air filters and changed the brake fluid.

A lot of recent and dated discussion on this very topic on the forum. 90% or more agree that the valve check that's called for at 18K is a big waste of money until you are in the 65k and up area. Do what you feel comfortable with of course but myself and a ton of other guys aren't wasting our money on the valve checks for a bit.

Get a reference point...

Not withstanding that the K bikes tend to stay well in spec, its good to get a reference point.

Doing it yourself is a lot of bodywork but nothing really difficult.

Filling the radiator back up is a bit of a job.

And getting those damn coils off the plugs!

Our 2019 K1600 GT Sport was spot on at the 18k service.

If I would have kept her, I wasn't planning on another valve check for at least 24 to 36k miles, about the time new plugs would have been in order.

As a reference point our past '08 K1200GT jumped its cam chain at around 40k.

90k miles later at 130,000 the valves were still in spec, none had required adjusting since new!

Same basic engine, just two more cylinders.

A friend of mine had his done at Engle Motors in Kansas City. I don't remember the price but it was well under $1,000, I vaguely remember him saying $600-$700, no shims needed. $2K is just a rip off. It takes less than a day, maybe a full day if they need to re-shim the valves. Do the math, what is their shop rate? $100/hour? 8 hours is $800 , plus some incidentals. I would call around.

I am getting my 18000mile service done on Oct 22nd at Gateway. They quoted me a price of $1923 dollars!

What are all services they doing for that price ? Surely more than just checking the valves. Do you do any work on your Big K like oil change,filters, final drives etc ?

What are all services they doing for that price ? Surely more than just checking the valves. Do you do any work on your Big K like oil change,filters, final drives etc ?

That was for the whole 18,000 mile service. I don't think I am going to get valves checked at 18,000 miles. Probably wait until 30,000 miles if I do not hit a deer and total it out .....ha ha .

It's you money... Feel free to just "give it away". NGK recommends changing their spark plugs every 100,000 MILES in a car. I checked the plugs in my '12 K1600GT @50,000 miles, they were fine. I've read/followed literally every K1600forum thread on this subject for over 9 years now. There have been less than 5 bikes total that required a valve adjustment and I question those posts. If my memory is correct none of those valve adjustments were on bikes with less than 50,000 miles.

Duane

It's you money... Feel free to just "give it away". NGK recommends changing their spark plugs every 100,000 MILES in a car. I checked the plugs in my '12 K1600GT @50,000 miles, they were fine. I've read/followed literally every K1600forum thread on this subject for over 9 years now. There have been less than 5 bikes total that required a valve adjustment and I question those posts. If my memory is correct none of those valve adjustments were on bikes with less than 50,000 miles.

Duane

+1 on what he said.

Joe

Approaching the 18,000 mile service. Dealer quoted $1600-$1900 depending on whether valves needed adjustment. Does that sound right?

Don't know how labor charges run out in St. Louis, but I just had my 18K service done a couple of weeks ago, and the Dealer quoted me $1,100. The invoice was actually a little less than that even though they replaced a $75 part during the service. They also offered me free pick up and delivery from my house, 50 miles away. I'm very happy, plus they adjusted my noisy cam chain. The engine is very quiet now.
18GrandAM

Don't know how labor charges run out in St. Louis, but I just had my 18K service done a couple of weeks ago, and the Dealer quoted me $1,100. The invoice was actually a little less than that even though they replaced a $75 part during the service. They also offered me free pick up and delivery from my house, 50 miles away. I'm very happy, plus they adjusted my noisy cam chain. The engine is very quiet now.
18GrandAM

Out of curiosity how does one adjust a cam chain on an OEM K1600?

I looked at the parts diagrams and see the tensioner but it doesn't look like it is adjustable. I have seen/had aftermarket adjustable tensioners on F bikes but they were aftermarket.

18GrandAM

Thanks. Interesting. Like many places we only have one dealer so it’s tough to shop around. I am surprised that the price would not be petty standard. Hopefully it will come out on the low end with no valve adjustment needed.

I am surprised that the price would not be petty standard.

There is a BMW provided flat-rate guide spelling out labor time in tenths of an hour. The big variable is the hourly rate labor charge. And for some jobs shops charge for actual time rather than flat-rate time. This is particularly true for troubleshooting.

Back