• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front tire mounted in incorrect rotation direction

Dealer

The dealer made the mistake, the dealer should pay full price for it. The tire company will not get involved more so because I bet they want to avoid any kind of liability now or in the future. If they say it is OK to remount the tire and it falls apart and the rider is injured, it could be a lawsuit agains them. Nope, they are going to stay out of it.

Im sorry, but the dealer made the mistake, and as mentioned, he should fix the problem. IF the problem was noticed at 25 miles, I could see just remounting it and going on from there. At 2500 miles, that is a sufficient amount of wear and how much of the wear and life is left on the tire. How much faster did the tire wear out because of the mistake? Why should the owner eat the cost of replacing a tire that could wear out before its normal range?

Nope, good customer relations is just that, owning up to mistakes and correcting them without cost to the customer. If a shop can't do this, they should do something else for a living or be danged sure they don't mess up.

How much of this mess is due to the BMW boutique dealership policy? I KNOW my original dealer back in the day would have had a new tire on at no cost and bought the owner lunch while he waited. Dealers like the one in this post make me glad I don't have to deal with the likes of modern bikes and modern dealerships.

What does corporate BMW think about a dealership that mounted a tire wrong or does BMW corporate even care? St.

I don't know the harm done however I always check the rotation arrows and air pressure when I have a new tire mounted.

I don't know the harm done however I always check the rotation arrows and air pressure when I have a new tire mounted.

I buy my tires at the Cycle Clinic in Des Moines and the owner usually tells me to check the tire rotation before I carry the wheels out.

I check

Yep, I always check the finished job before riding off the shop's property. Still, it should not have been installed wrong and the shop should pay to correct the issue. The rider has learned a lesson the hard way, check and confirm the work done. Obviously all work is not so easy to check but when I can, I do. St.

1989 right before a trip I mounted new tires on both of our bikes.
At the start of the trip I roll both bikes out and when I looked at the bikes I noticed one front tire tread was going one way and the other bike had the tread going the other way.
Being pretty smart I knew one was wrong :D
No ABS, so all I had to do was turn the wheel around.

New England Trip 1989.jpg

Last edited:
1989 right before a trip I mounted new tires on both of our bikes.
At the start of the trip I roll both bikes out and when I looked at the bikes I noticed one front tire tread was going one way and the other bike had the tread going the other way.
Being pretty smart I knew one was wrong :D

View attachment 85453

Did that '87 "T" have ABS? My '86" didn't. If not you could just turn the wheel around? :scratch

Did that '87 "T" have ABS? My '86" didn't. If not you could just turn the wheel around? :scratch

91 was the first year for ABS on the K75S. I think 1998 was the first year for ABS on the K100RS.
All I had to do was turn the wheel around.
I forgot to add that.

2500 miles after having new tires installed and while detailing my R1200R I noted that the direction of rotation of the front tire was incorrect. The BMW dealer who installed the tire has agreed to rectify the situation, however has not agreed at this point to replace the tire. I contacted Michelin customer service who would not comment regarding the need to replace the tire, only stating it was up to the dealer to "correct it." Questions I have are: (1) Has the tire been adversely affected by rotating in the wrong direction for 25% of its life? (2) By merely remounting will there be long term adverse effects to handling, braking, tire life, safety? (3) The dealer has stated they will "inspect" the tire and remount if it is ok...can they really see any internal issues related to cord wear-in, etc.? Automotive tires when being rotated must maintain the same rotational direction, why wouldn't the same apply to motorcycle tires? I appreciate you thoughts, comments.

Not all automotive tires are direction specific.

The direction of rotation on your tire is related to water excavation. I would have no problem re-mounting the tire and riding it as-is.

Back