Thread: Fuel Pump Replacement

Fuel Pump Replacement

Just got word from my dealer my 1996 R1100GS with 33k miles has a dead fuel pump. Bike died after a bumpy 5 mile off road ride, I smelled wires burning so I suspected the HES, now I wish that was the problem as they quoted $1k to replace the pump, lines, filter and gasket. YIKES!

The pump is $437 from BMW, any options for a rebuilt source? Thanks for any input!
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS

Neglected Bike Adopter
    Quote Originally Posted by 174713 View Post
    The pump is $437 from BMW, any options for a rebuilt source?
    Pumps the size of the ones in our tanks are too small for rebuilds to be economical, unfortunately, but decent aftermarket ones are not expensive.

I went with a Quantum Fuel Systems HFP-439 -- they can be bought new at highflowfuel.com for about $60, and they also sell on Ebay. In my opinion their pump has a better fuel strainer design than stock. They come with a warranty and you can get various kits including fuel filters and gaskets and fuel pressure regulators for a bit more money; I think their total fuel system kit is $100.
    I wouldn't go any cheaper than those prices, personally.

The Beemer Boneyard pump is a Walbro, which is a very good fuel pump from a solid brand but definitely more expensive. Certainly not a bad choice.

The smell of burning wires makes me wonder, though, about their diagnosis of the problem. My own bike didn't have a dead fuel pump; it had a dead positive fuel pump wire. The wires going through the fuel sending units sometimes burn up or break continuity for unseen reasons, most commonly the ground. You can't know which electrical part is the issue unless you pull the pump and sending unit out and test them both. If you know how to use a multimeter you can poke around yourself and figure out which it is.

What stinks if you have a sending unit wire failure is that while there are plenty of aftermarket fuel pump options, the fuel sending unit is a unique part. Your only options are to pay BMW the $400, or find one used.
    I hope for the sake of your wallet that it's just a dead pump!
    Owner of the saddest 1997 R850R you ever did see.

Euro Motoelectrics has your pump for $200.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Spoke to Mike at Beemer boneyard and went with the aftermarket unit with brass connections. Thanks for the link!
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS

Quote Originally Posted by senseamidmadness View Post
    Pumps the size of the ones in our tanks are too small for rebuilds to be economical, unfortunately, but decent aftermarket ones are not expensive.

I went with a Quantum Fuel Systems HFP-439 -- they can be bought new at highflowfuel.com for about $60, and they also sell on Ebay. In my opinion their pump has a better fuel strainer design than stock. They come with a warranty and you can get various kits including fuel filters and gaskets and fuel pressure regulators for a bit more money; I think their total fuel system kit is $100.
    I wouldn't go any cheaper than those prices, personally.

The Beemer Boneyard pump is a Walbro, which is a very good fuel pump from a solid brand but definitely more expensive. Certainly not a bad choice.

The smell of burning wires makes me wonder, though, about their diagnosis of the problem. My own bike didn't have a dead fuel pump; it had a dead positive fuel pump wire. The wires going through the fuel sending units sometimes burn up or break continuity for unseen reasons, most commonly the ground. You can't know which electrical part is the issue unless you pull the pump and sending unit out and test them both. If you know how to use a multimeter you can poke around yourself and figure out which it is.

What stinks if you have a sending unit wire failure is that while there are plenty of aftermarket fuel pump options, the fuel sending unit is a unique part. Your only options are to pay BMW the $400, or find one used.
    I hope for the sake of your wallet that it's just a dead pump!
    I had the same thought about the burning wires, the mechanic has always correctly diagnosed issues so I hope hes correct on this one. Im having him check the HES wiring as well just to get ahead of this ticking time bomb. The Beemerboneyard unit arrives next Tuesday so Ill update the results here!
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Euro Motoelectrics has your pump for $200.
    Thanks for the link, Beemerboneyard was $20 cheaper so I went with theirs. Were fortunate to have such good suppliers for our bikes!
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS