• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Pump Replacement

Just got word from my dealer my 1996 R1100GS with 33k miles has a dead fuel pump. Bike died after a bumpy 5 mile off road ride, I smelled wires burning so I suspected the HES, now I wish that was the problem as they quoted $1k to replace the pump, lines, filter and gasket. YIKES!

The pump is $437 from BMW, any options for a rebuilt source? Thanks for any input!

The pump is $437 from BMW, any options for a rebuilt source?

Pumps the size of the ones in our tanks are too small for rebuilds to be economical, unfortunately, but decent aftermarket ones are not expensive.

I went with a Quantum Fuel Systems HFP-439 -- they can be bought new at highflowfuel.com for about $60, and they also sell on Ebay. In my opinion their pump has a better fuel strainer design than stock. They come with a warranty and you can get various kits including fuel filters and gaskets and fuel pressure regulators for a bit more money; I think their total fuel system kit is $100.
I wouldn't go any cheaper than those prices, personally.

The Beemer Boneyard pump is a Walbro, which is a very good fuel pump from a solid brand but definitely more expensive. Certainly not a bad choice.

The smell of burning wires makes me wonder, though, about their diagnosis of the problem. My own bike didn't have a dead fuel pump; it had a dead positive fuel pump wire. The wires going through the fuel sending units sometimes burn up or break continuity for unseen reasons, most commonly the ground. You can't know which electrical part is the issue unless you pull the pump and sending unit out and test them both. If you know how to use a multimeter you can poke around yourself and figure out which it is.

What stinks if you have a sending unit wire failure is that while there are plenty of aftermarket fuel pump options, the fuel sending unit is a unique part. Your only options are to pay BMW the $400, or find one used.
I hope for the sake of your wallet that it's just a dead pump!

Pumps the size of the ones in our tanks are too small for rebuilds to be economical, unfortunately, but decent aftermarket ones are not expensive.

I went with a Quantum Fuel Systems HFP-439 -- they can be bought new at highflowfuel.com for about $60, and they also sell on Ebay. In my opinion their pump has a better fuel strainer design than stock. They come with a warranty and you can get various kits including fuel filters and gaskets and fuel pressure regulators for a bit more money; I think their total fuel system kit is $100.
I wouldn't go any cheaper than those prices, personally.

The Beemer Boneyard pump is a Walbro, which is a very good fuel pump from a solid brand but definitely more expensive. Certainly not a bad choice.

The smell of burning wires makes me wonder, though, about their diagnosis of the problem. My own bike didn't have a dead fuel pump; it had a dead positive fuel pump wire. The wires going through the fuel sending units sometimes burn up or break continuity for unseen reasons, most commonly the ground. You can't know which electrical part is the issue unless you pull the pump and sending unit out and test them both. If you know how to use a multimeter you can poke around yourself and figure out which it is.

What stinks if you have a sending unit wire failure is that while there are plenty of aftermarket fuel pump options, the fuel sending unit is a unique part. Your only options are to pay BMW the $400, or find one used.
I hope for the sake of your wallet that it's just a dead pump!

I had the same thought about the burning wires, the mechanic has always correctly diagnosed issues so I hope he’s correct on this one. I’m having him check the HES wiring as well just to get ahead of this ticking time bomb. The Beemerboneyard unit arrives next Tuesday so I’ll update the results here!

Back