• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I need a small clarification about the fuel pump controller bypass for 2011.

westcoastkevin

Hi,
I have read a bunch on the internet, but need a small clarification.
I noticed in my paperwork that the fuel pump was replaced under warranty on my bike. Fair enough. I do not know if it was a recall or not. 2011 RT

I read a bunch about the bypass wiring that people have done to get home after an on the road breakdown. Fair enough.

Most of those articles speak to the earlier years, and to the GS.

My question:
Was there an issue with the fuel pump controllers on 2011?

Now that I am finally starting to service my own bike, I can see that it would be quite cheap and easy to be prepared for that situation just in case it happened on the road. but if it is not a real issue, then I don't want to be looking for a problem where there is none.

Thanks all.
Kevin

By the time the Camheads came out BMW was already using the more reliable black controllers, so I don't think you will see this problem. Early Hexhead models used a silver color (aluminum) controller that was failure prone. The switch was made around 2008 or 2009, I think.

My silver controller is still just fine. I did remove the controller and add some silicone grease to the gasket surfaces to help keep water out. With connectors and wire in my toolkit and some notes on my phone with wire color codes, I can rig up a bypass if needed.

By the time the Camheads came out BMW was already using the more reliable black controllers, so I don't think you will see this problem. Early Hexhead models used a silver color (aluminum) controller that was failure prone. The switch was made around 2008 or 2009, I think.

My silver controller is still just fine. I did remove the controller and add some silicone grease to the gasket surfaces to help keep water out. With connectors and wire in my toolkit and some notes on my phone with wire color codes, I can rig up a bypass if needed.

I spray-painted my controller black matte. I figured it would help it dissipate heat better. So far good for the last 10 years.

fuel pump controller bypass // fuel pump bypass

Hi,
I have read a bunch on the internet, but need a small clarification.
I noticed in my paperwork that the fuel pump was replaced under warranty on my bike. Fair enough. I do not know if it was a recall or not. 2011 RT

I read a bunch about the bypass wiring that people have done to get home after an on the road breakdown. Fair enough.

Most of those articles speak to the earlier years, and to the GS.

My question:
Was there an issue with the fuel pump controllers on 2011?

Now that I am finally starting to service my own bike, I can see that it would be quite cheap and easy to be prepared for that situation just in case it happened on the road. but if it is not a real issue, then I don't want to be looking for a problem where there is none.

Thanks all.
Kevin

I have a '12 RT with 93,000kms. Zero problems with bike so far. This year I had the fuel pump recall performed. I feel good about new pump at 90K. I asked the service department why the recall. Was told there had been some cracked fittings, causing slight leaks. Gasoline smell was what alerted owners of leak, not pools of fuel. I do have the bypass patch, and usually carry it on longer trips, since it takes up ~~no space, and would be easy to install on the road if need be.

I have a '12 RT with 93,000kms. Zero problems with bike so far. This year I had the fuel pump recall performed. I feel good about new pump at 90K. I asked the service department why the recall. Was told there had been some cracked fittings, causing slight leaks. Gasoline smell was what alerted owners of leak, not pools of fuel. I do have the bypass patch, and usually carry it on longer trips, since it takes up ~~no space, and would be easy to install on the road if need be.

When you screw a tapered plumbing fitting into threaded plastic the wedging action can cause cracking of the plastic; either immediately or later.:banghead

Back