Thread: I need a small clarification about the fuel pump controller bypass for 2011.

I need a small clarification about the fuel pump controller bypass for 2011.

Hi,
    I have read a bunch on the internet, but need a small clarification.
    I noticed in my paperwork that the fuel pump was replaced under warranty on my bike. Fair enough. I do not know if it was a recall or not. 2011 RT

I read a bunch about the bypass wiring that people have done to get home after an on the road breakdown. Fair enough.

Most of those articles speak to the earlier years, and to the GS.

My question:
    Was there an issue with the fuel pump controllers on 2011?

Now that I am finally starting to service my own bike, I can see that it would be quite cheap and easy to be prepared for that situation just in case it happened on the road. but if it is not a real issue, then I don't want to be looking for a problem where there is none.

Thanks all.
    Kevin
    2011 R1200RT

By the time the Camheads came out BMW was already using the more reliable black controllers, so I don't think you will see this problem. Early Hexhead models used a silver color (aluminum) controller that was failure prone. The switch was made around 2008 or 2009, I think.

My silver controller is still just fine. I did remove the controller and add some silicone grease to the gasket surfaces to help keep water out. With connectors and wire in my toolkit and some notes on my phone with wire color codes, I can rig up a bypass if needed.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    By the time the Camheads came out BMW was already using the more reliable black controllers, so I don't think you will see this problem. Early Hexhead models used a silver color (aluminum) controller that was failure prone. The switch was made around 2008 or 2009, I think.

My silver controller is still just fine. I did remove the controller and add some silicone grease to the gasket surfaces to help keep water out. With connectors and wire in my toolkit and some notes on my phone with wire color codes, I can rig up a bypass if needed.
    I spray-painted my controller black matte. I figured it would help it dissipate heat better. So far good for the last 10 years.
    2007 R1200RT

fuel pump controller bypass // fuel pump bypass

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastkevin View Post
    Hi,
    I have read a bunch on the internet, but need a small clarification.
    I noticed in my paperwork that the fuel pump was replaced under warranty on my bike. Fair enough. I do not know if it was a recall or not. 2011 RT

I read a bunch about the bypass wiring that people have done to get home after an on the road breakdown. Fair enough.

Most of those articles speak to the earlier years, and to the GS.

My question:
    Was there an issue with the fuel pump controllers on 2011?

Now that I am finally starting to service my own bike, I can see that it would be quite cheap and easy to be prepared for that situation just in case it happened on the road. but if it is not a real issue, then I don't want to be looking for a problem where there is none.

Thanks all.
    Kevin
    I have a '12 RT with 93,000kms. Zero problems with bike so far. This year I had the fuel pump recall performed. I feel good about new pump at 90K. I asked the service department why the recall. Was told there had been some cracked fittings, causing slight leaks. Gasoline smell was what alerted owners of leak, not pools of fuel. I do have the bypass patch, and usually carry it on longer trips, since it takes up ~~no space, and would be easy to install on the road if need be.
    2012R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by doodledog View Post
    I have a '12 RT with 93,000kms. Zero problems with bike so far. This year I had the fuel pump recall performed. I feel good about new pump at 90K. I asked the service department why the recall. Was told there had been some cracked fittings, causing slight leaks. Gasoline smell was what alerted owners of leak, not pools of fuel. I do have the bypass patch, and usually carry it on longer trips, since it takes up ~~no space, and would be easy to install on the road if need be.
    When you screw a tapered plumbing fitting into threaded plastic the wedging action can cause cracking of the plastic; either immediately or later.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/