• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Easy tip to not spill oil when doing a gearbox oil change.

westcoastkevin

Hi.
Being a new owner, I do not have a lot to contribute on the technical side. The internet covers most topics already.

Having said that, I did a partial service of the bike over the last few days, and I did do one thing that seemed simpler than the Youtube videos of the world. Even so, I am sure this has been done before too, but I thought to post it anyway.

For draining the gearbox oil without spilling a drop.
I am in the middle of a house remodel and pulled some 1.5" pvc with a 90 degree end from the pile.
It was PERFECT for draining the gearbox oil without spilling a drop. I could even tie it there with a zip tie and walk away from it.

I also keep a cap from a quart oil bottle with a hose barb on it. I can fill anything, anytime, anywhere with that. It takes up very little space in the tool kit.

What I did.
Front wheel axle seals (with fresh grease) and flip the spacer around.
Engine oil and filter.
Air filter.
Gearbox oil.
Final drive drain, flush once and new oil.
Driveshaft lubrication and molybdenum grease both ends.

It went back together with no screws left over or anything.

Over the winter I will do the valve clearances, sync the throttle bodies, brakes and brake fluid, and anything else I find along the way or is in the book.

20210929_165756.jpg

20210929_201823.jpg

20210929_201827.jpg

20210929_184608.jpg

20211001_090847.jpg

20211001_090856.jpg

20210930_162326.jpg

Nice solution, but it's really best to use the proper tool.

What you really need is a pie.

Go to the store and buy a pie. I prefer apple, cherry or chocolate cream, but doesn't matter what flavor, so get something you like.
Eat the entire pie.
You now have a nice piece of heavy aluminum foil that can shaped into a disposable funnel to direct the gear oil into your drain pan.
When the job is finished the foil goes in the trash and you don't have a messy pipe sitting around the garage.
The next time you change the oil, you have another opportunity to eat pie.

Nice solution, but it's really best to use the proper tool.

What you really need is a pie.

Go to the store and buy a pie. I prefer apple, cherry or chocolate cream, but doesn't matter what flavor, so get something you like.
Eat the entire pie.
You now have a nice piece of heavy aluminum foil that can shaped into a disposable funnel to direct the gear oil into your drain pan.
When the job is finished the foil goes in the trash and you don't have a messy pipe sitting around the garage.
The next time you change the oil, you have another opportunity to eat pie.

Brilliant….and delicious [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the same type of bottle I use for the final drive.
The slant tip works better than the straight tip I used in the past.
With the slant tip it's easy to get all the oil out of the bottle.
I also like it better than a syringe.

View attachment 85466

If you are doing the final drive oil you should pull the wheel and lube the splines and insure they are not rusted. No need for aluminum foil then.

If you are doing the final drive oil you should pull the wheel and lube the splines and insure they are not rusted. No need for aluminum foil then.

I normally do the final drive oil the same time as a tire change so the tire is not in the way.
I had henzilla change our rear tires in Texas and waited until we returned home to change the final drive oil.

There are many ways to skin a cat and it's interesting to see all the different ways we come up with. To drain the transmission oil without spilling some and/or dropping the drain bolt in the funnel I cut a piece of expanded steel and jammed it in the ordinary plastic funnel. The expanded steel catches the drain bolt and allows oil to flow through. The funnel jams into place and holds position hands-free to catch the oil and direct it into the catch pan.

RT gearbox drain funnel.jpg

Back