• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The USPS' sweeping plan, titled "Delivering for America," promises…..

I don't believe that when the founding fathers wrote the Postal Service into our founding documents - the only agency mentioned in the Constitution - they expected that it'd have to make a profit or even break even.

Not everything needs to be subjected to the forces of capitalism, IMHO. I'm certain, given the political bent of this forum, others won't agree.

If you consider the purpose of the USPS, the founding fathers realized that if we wanted informed voters for our democracy, a method of distributing information was going to be necessary. In the same sentence, they also mention the creation of "post roads" to facilitate interstate commerce and trade.

We don't expect our road infrastructure to make money. Why have we bent the USPS into an expectation of profitability and not costing the country anything?

Dave,
I think that you are likely correct about your assertions the the need for informed voters trumped delivery cost concerns - within reason. But, today it's possible to operate the Postal Service close to revenue neutral. The cost model for mail delivery is far different - and not in a good way - as it was 50, 100, or 250 years ago. Other operations need to subsidize it. As a quasi-governmental agency that mission can be mandated, whereas a for-profit private enterprise would stop it and pocket the savings.

Just in-

Get ready to pay more for Forever Stamps. The U.S. Post Office will raise the price of a First-Class Forever Stamp by 2 cents, from 58 cents to 60 cents starting July 10th

Rates for other services to rise accordingly.

OM

The USPS is expected to operate as a private entity would do, but under rules developed and oversight performed by 535 people whose primary interest is keeping their constituents happy and staying in their elected offices. Attempts by the USPS to make changes to become more efficient can and are blocked by congress. This led to a "why bother" attitude by the leadership of the USPS. Once a year they get called to congress and get lectured about how poorly run the USPS and how they must do better, but they get the money they need without making the required changes. Self-serving oversight combined with poor leadership within the USPS got us where we are today. Real positive change is unlikely to take place anytime soon. After all, $69 billion over 11 years is not so much to spend to get some votes.

I like you.

Game plan:
Cripple USPS
Sell it off to private for-profit company
Get rich at customers expense

Selling it for profit would be great and I would endorse that immediately. After all, profit from selling USPS would be public funds and could go toward funding some of our favorite national past times like bombing and election campaigns.
Unfortunately, there's not a single business that would purchase it. UPS and/or FedEx would simply introduce mail services that would probably be about 7-15% more expensive than a current stamp. And I would absolutely support this. There is simply not one good reason why the public should be losing money on driving pieces of paper around. There is zero incentive to do this efficiently and it will always be a money pit.

Back