• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100LT pulls to right

eastbay

My 2000 R1100 RT pulls pretty hard to the right. If I let go of the bars, just for test purposes, I have to sit way out to the left like I’m hiking on a sailboat. My K 1100 did not do this at all but tracked straight. Is this because of the different engine or is something out of whack and is there a way to correct for it?

You got at least one issue.

Could be a combination though.

Start with tire pressure/condition.

Look at dragging brakes.

Overall chassis integrity paralever, ball joint, swing arm bearings and shocks.

That isn't normal for any motorcycle.

Dieselyoda is correct. Check all the usual stuff. Tires/wheels/brakes/suspension.

You really should find a friend with the 1100 or 1150 RT and either get them to ride your bike or let you ride theirs. The RT gas tank has a large volume of the gas on the right side of the bike. The extra weight on the right will have a small effect on pull to the right. You should determine if what you are sensing is normal or excessive

In 2000 the R1100RT used a 2mm shim between the rear wheel and final drive, part# 36 31 1 451 791. Make sure your is still in place as they sometimes get misplaced over the years.

Best,
DeVern

Ride straight thru a mud puddle and immediately inspect the tire track alignments. Is there an offset? The shim described above is certainly one source.

My 1100 RS 94 vintage pulls to the right too. I found the right fork tube leaking oil so replaced fork seal. The fork fluid was really low. Not sure if this had anyth8ng to do with my issue, but by fixing the seal and weighting the bike on the left heavier than the right pannier, she is straight as an arrow now.

Another way to check if the wheels are aligned is to take the bags off and get a straight 2x4 and set it up as high as possible on little blocks and set it against the sides of the rear tire. Then look at the relationship to the front tire.
This visual is easy to do.
Then put the bike against a wall with a friend so its plumb on the rear wheel, check it with a level. then check the front wheel and see if their vertically inline.

Somethings not right.

Another thing to do is get 2 friends, and get one to hold the bike up while you jump up and down on the pegs, and another friend to observe. The front and rear suspension should compress the same, If not adjust the Pre load until it does.
Dave Moss has a good you tube vid on this.
Good Luck
Nick
1990 K75RT

You really should find a friend with the 1100 or 1150 RT and either get them to ride your bike or let you ride theirs. The RT gas tank has a large volume of the gas on the right side of the bike. The extra weight on the right will have a small effect on pull to the right. You should determine if what you are sensing is normal or excessive

Not to hijack, but could this account for front tire scallop on the right side?

94 1100 rs

I found something else to check for right side pull. Yesterday I had the tank off, looking for an electrical problem, when I noticed that my front shock had movement in it. It was actually loose but the nut on top of the stem was tight. On further examination I found that the rubber coller that I guess works as a dampner had completely disintegrated allowing for about a quarter inch of slop and the shock could move around at the top. In addition, when on the center stand, the front tire was touching the ground. I was surprised that my dealer, Gateway BMW, actually had replacement parts in stock. Replaced and front wheel is now off ground when on center stand like before. Better yet, most of the right hand pull is out of the bike and I can take both hands off the bars and the bike still follows a straight line. I found this issue by accident, but have to think that this is a fairly common replacement part and issue. Hope I explained it sufficiently.

94 1100 rs

I found something else to check for right side pull. Yesterday I had the tank off, looking for an electrical problem, when I noticed that my front shock had movement in it. It was actually loose but the nut on top of the stem was tight. On further examination I found that the rubber coller that I guess works as a dampner had completely disintegrated allowing for about a quarter inch of slop and the shock could move around at the top. In addition, when on the center stand, the front tire was touching the ground. I was surprised that my dealer, Gateway BMW, actually had replacement parts in stock. Replaced and front wheel is now off ground when on center stand like before. Better yet, most of the right hand pull is out of the bike and I can take both hands off the bars and the bike still follows a straight line. I found this issue by accident, but have to think that this is a fairly common replacement part and issue. Hope I explained it sufficiently.

thanks, I'll check the shock when I replace my fork seals.

Back