Thread: R1100LT pulls to right

R1100LT pulls to right

My 2000 R1100 RT pulls pretty hard to the right. If I let go of the bars, just for test purposes, I have to sit way out to the left like Im hiking on a sailboat. My K 1100 did not do this at all but tracked straight. Is this because of the different engine or is something out of whack and is there a way to correct for it?

You got at least one issue.

Could be a combination though.

Start with tire pressure/condition.

Look at dragging brakes.

Overall chassis integrity paralever, ball joint, swing arm bearings and shocks.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.

Neglected Bike Adopter
    That isn't normal for any motorcycle.

Dieselyoda is correct. Check all the usual stuff. Tires/wheels/brakes/suspension.
    Owner of the saddest 1997 R850R you ever did see.

You really should find a friend with the 1100 or 1150 RT and either get them to ride your bike or let you ride theirs. The RT gas tank has a large volume of the gas on the right side of the bike. The extra weight on the right will have a small effect on pull to the right. You should determine if what you are sensing is normal or excessive
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

In 2000 the R1100RT used a 2mm shim between the rear wheel and final drive, part# 36 31 1 451 791. Make sure your is still in place as they sometimes get misplaced over the years.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Ride straight thru a mud puddle and immediately inspect the tire track alignments. Is there an offset? The shim described above is certainly one source.
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

My 1100 RS 94 vintage pulls to the right too. I found the right fork tube leaking oil so replaced fork seal. The fork fluid was really low. Not sure if this had anyth8ng to do with my issue, but by fixing the seal and weighting the bike on the left heavier than the right pannier, she is straight as an arrow now.

Nick Kennedy
    Another way to check if the wheels are aligned is to take the bags off and get a straight 2x4 and set it up as high as possible on little blocks and set it against the sides of the rear tire. Then look at the relationship to the front tire.
    This visual is easy to do.
    Then put the bike against a wall with a friend so its plumb on the rear wheel, check it with a level. then check the front wheel and see if their vertically inline.

Somethings not right.

Another thing to do is get 2 friends, and get one to hold the bike up while you jump up and down on the pegs, and another friend to observe. The front and rear suspension should compress the same, If not adjust the Pre load until it does.
    Dave Moss has a good you tube vid on this.
    Good Luck
    Nick
    1990 K75RT

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    You really should find a friend with the 1100 or 1150 RT and either get them to ride your bike or let you ride theirs. The RT gas tank has a large volume of the gas on the right side of the bike. The extra weight on the right will have a small effect on pull to the right. You should determine if what you are sensing is normal or excessive
    Not to hijack, but could this account for front tire scallop on the right side?

Quote Originally Posted by jnrugg View Post
    Not to hijack, but could this account for front tire scallop on the right side?
    Yep, that's a thread hijack. Scallop on the right? Much more likely to be tire pressure or shocks.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

94 1100 rs

I found something else to check for right side pull. Yesterday I had the tank off, looking for an electrical problem, when I noticed that my front shock had movement in it. It was actually loose but the nut on top of the stem was tight. On further examination I found that the rubber coller that I guess works as a dampner had completely disintegrated allowing for about a quarter inch of slop and the shock could move around at the top. In addition, when on the center stand, the front tire was touching the ground. I was surprised that my dealer, Gateway BMW, actually had replacement parts in stock. Replaced and front wheel is now off ground when on center stand like before. Better yet, most of the right hand pull is out of the bike and I can take both hands off the bars and the bike still follows a straight line. I found this issue by accident, but have to think that this is a fairly common replacement part and issue. Hope I explained it sufficiently.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Nice

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

94 1100 rs

I found something else to check for right side pull. Yesterday I had the tank off, looking for an electrical problem, when I noticed that my front shock had movement in it. It was actually loose but the nut on top of the stem was tight. On further examination I found that the rubber coller that I guess works as a dampner had completely disintegrated allowing for about a quarter inch of slop and the shock could move around at the top. In addition, when on the center stand, the front tire was touching the ground. I was surprised that my dealer, Gateway BMW, actually had replacement parts in stock. Replaced and front wheel is now off ground when on center stand like before. Better yet, most of the right hand pull is out of the bike and I can take both hands off the bars and the bike still follows a straight line. I found this issue by accident, but have to think that this is a fairly common replacement part and issue. Hope I explained it sufficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    thanks, I'll check the shock when I replace my fork seals.