• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are Gerbing gloves waterproof?

crouthier

Hi I picked up a pair of Gerbing HiPOR heated gloves - I can't tell if these are also waterproof? Does anyone know? I did Google it but it just can't seem to find any info. thanks, Chuck

My newer ones are. My 15 year old ones were not! I'm not familiar with HiPOR. If you don't get an answer here give Gerbing a call. They have excellent customer service!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I did shoot them an email, and Kurt I do believe it's HiPORA - not HiPOR...the logo is kinda hard to read... thanks C

A few years ago when I called Gerbings about the waterproof qualities of my gloves (bought in '07), I was told to occasionally spray them with waterproofing to keep my hands dry. Newer gloves may not need this annual reconditioning. :dunno

response from Gerbing

Hi this is the email I just rec'vd:

Dear Chuck,
Good Morning, yes all Gerbing gloves are water resistant, I never say water proof, because there could have been any little mistake made in manufacturing who knows.
Thanks!
Margaret So - water proof (with a caveat)

Chuck

Hi this is the email I just rec'vd:

Dear Chuck,
Good Morning, yes all Gerbing gloves are water resistant, I never say water proof, because there could have been any little mistake made in manufacturing who knows.
Thanks!
Margaret So - water proof (with a caveat)

Chuck

I say "Bull Pucky" I have had this set of Gerbing Gloves since 2017.
20210929_140825%20Gerbing%20gloves%201-XL.jpg

20210929_140817%20Gerbing%20Gloves%202-XL.jpg

As I found out on my first trip to Alaska/NWT/Tuktayaktuk in 2017
They are most definitely not "Waterproof" and could hardly be called "Water Resistant"

To make them "Waterproof I purchased a pair of these Aerostitch Glove Covers,
20210929_140841%20Stitch%20Glove%20Covers-XL.jpg

they make these Gerbing Gloves "Waterproof"

I TOTALLY agree with John.

The ONLY way to keep your hands and gloves dry (in Rain) and warm (in Cold) are the Aerostitch Triple Digit over gloves.

https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/rain-glove-covers/aerostich-triple-digit-glove-covers.html

I use them in the rain over my summer gloves and in the cold over my WarmNSafe heated gloves.

There have been complaints that they are slippery with touch of motorcycle controls but I found a solution from Aerostitch.
I stuffed the over covers with pieces of cloth to expand and separate the fingers.
Then I applied seam sealer on the palms and let them dry.
This made the palms "grippy" when gripping your motorcycle controls.

If you ride a bike that has a sport riding position (hands on handlebars lower than your elbows), you could get water leaking down into your over covers.
In this case, it is advised to tuck the gauntlets under the sleeves of your riding jacket.

On my 2014 1200 GSW, my elbows are always lower than my hands(when hands are on handlebars) and I've never had leaking (with gauntlet cinched up) and my gauntlets are over my riding jacket.

Always keep them in my tankbag.......and I have NO affiliation with Aerostitch. Just like to pass on good experiences with good products.

Hi I picked up a pair of Gerbing HiPOR heated gloves - I can't tell if these are also waterproof? Does anyone know? I did Google it but it just can't seem to find any info. thanks, Chuck

No. I have pair of the hybrid Gerbing HiPOR heated gloves, older version, and they became so soaked on a trip to Denver in the rain that I had to use my lighter weight tour Master heated gloves. The Gerbing gloves were so wet they took weeks to completely dry. I now have a pair of Aerostitch Triple Digit over gloves that I use. Honestly, there are no regular Goretex or Hippora gloves that are truly waterproof if you are in heavy rain for a long period of time. That's just how it is.

On that Denver trip I started out in torrential rain at about 39 degrees with 40 to 60mph crosswinds. Worst weather I have ever ridden in. Road signs were getting ripped out of the ground. I only went about 140 miles that day because I was beat to death from the wind and I was afraid I was going to get blown off the road. And this was on my 2019 R1250RT. It was the most extreme test of glove water resistance I can imagine short of jumping in a swimming pool to see if they leaked.

Back