• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Deer hit

jt1135

Picked up my K1600b earlier this spring and put 14500 miles on it till last thursday. Me and a deer had a discussion and we both lost. Was a little yearling and he died and I flew over the bars and landed on the road. Glad I had a decent helmet on and and Icon jacket with armor. Those parts of my body escaped any damage other than a mild concussion. Only thing was the blue jeans. Hip got bruised up and some road rash on the legs so next year will be some armored pants. Would like another 1600b but have to wait and see if the Mothership will still make them. Really happy with my Shoei helmet and will be getting another one. Figured it saved my life by looking at the helmet. Will post some pictures after I take a few for the insurance company.

Glad you're OK(ish). I've hit a few in cars (I was in the car- the deers was on foot) and they come out of nowhere. I believe the odds are worse at night, but I don't know if that's a visibility thing or a deer behavior thing. Maybe, when things settle a little, could you tell us time, conditions, locale?

Doing about 60, the speed limit, 4 in the afternoon of a nice sunny day on a state highway. I was heading south and the deer was heading west. Long grass on a steep ditch. Just putzing along and all of a sudden the little bastard was there on the shoulder in the tall grass and he decided to make a run for it. I grabbed for the brakes but of course was too late. Hit it right behind the ribs. I remember going over the handlebars and landed on the tar. Next thing I remember a guy was looking down at me and told me to lay still. Don't know how long I was out but guessing for a few minutes at least. He told the ambulance personnel I took my helmet off, stupid on my part, but no harm done. The state trooper pulled up and said it looked all cut and dried and was just an accident. CT scans showed nothing in the head or any problems with the neck. The Shoei did it's job. Happened about 3 miles north of a little town called Sunburg in west central Minnesota. Drove that road hundreds of times. Oh well, s=== happens and life goes on. Now have to look for another KB or maybe lighten things up and go for a R1250rt after I get the insurance check. Plenty of time to decide as I go in for a stem cell transplant in a couple of weeks so won't be riding again till next spring or summer.

Glad you're well. Here in TN, the deadliest animal is undoubtedly the White-tailed Deer. Especially when the corn is high. They lay in wait.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Boy, I really dislike those road vermin. Sorry that you got hurt, and yeah everyone says the bike can be repaired or replaced, but when you have a connection with YOUR bike, it really sucks that it gets banged up or totaled. Best luck with recovery and your other medical stuff coming up.

I’m sure that the odds go up from dusk to dawn, and during rut, but they are everywhere in my area and no time of day, no time of year is safe. What I’ve read is that they are instinctively programmed to react to threats and to them, threats move at “animal” speed, maybe 30-35 mph. They don’t comprehend vehicles that move at 60+ mph. They bolt out thinking that they have enough space to get passed you, not understanding that you’re closing twice as quickly as their instinct works. I’ve killed five of them with three different bikes. Only the first time cost me a bike and a few weeks off. The rest were just damage to my rides. I am now hyper aware of sides of the road, and I still don’t know if that’s enough.

Thank God

Thank God you are OKAY,

I was riding home from work one evening, saw a brown blur then remember a bang, going off the back of the bike, hearing the bike cartwheeling or rolling and finally sliding on my hands and knees. Thank God I had good heavy gloves on. My knees got torn up along with my jeans. I ended up with a piece of the headlight cover in the knee I carried with me for 20 years until it had to be removed. I now wear armored pants or leathers. Oh boy, what my helmet and jacket looked like!

Sad part is, how many dumb ass people I know and see who ride without helmets or proper gear who SAW my helmet and jacket, smile a big dumb smile and go riding without a helmet, or a $10 helmet, t-shirt and sneakers. Like they say, you can't fix stupid.

I have owned only the best helmets and gear and it has saved my life and skin twice so far in 40 plus years of riding. Like the Aerostich ads, I do look a lot like a road grimed astronaut. LOL after the last accident I gained so much weight laying around I no longer fit into my Vanson leathers. I had them repaired and they hang as an attempt to get my weight back down. LOL, easy to gain, hard as heck to loose. St.

Oh yes

Okay, I have written before, thought I would share some humor. When I was on the side of the road after the hit, a neighbor called the police and ambulance. The local officer who showed up to the call asked me if I wanted the deer. I replied no, it had been well tenderized and was not worth keeping. He smiled, went out to look at it came back and said, man, you worked it over good. I told him that not only had I hit it but while it was laying in the road, and I was on the shoulder sitting, a jerk in a big Lincoln car ran all four wheels over it. Lucky it was not me he ran over. Deer and stupid drivers, the two biggest dangers to our sport and lives, may our guardian angels never get too far from us to pull us out of the way. St.

From another deer encounter survivor, glad to hear the bike and Bambi were the only casualties.

My own deer strike had much the same results with the deer dying and my bike being totaled. I did sustain injuries that took significant time to heal, but nothing life threatening. My full gear from head to toe to fingertips did make a huge difference for my outcome. Without it, I would have suffered far worse injuries with my hide looking like the shredded fabric of my suit after the slide through the gravel. While the impact of my elbow hitting the dirt caused the major soft tissue injuries to my shoulder, without the quality armour in the jacket, my elbow and arm would have likely been shattered.

I live on a rural road in N Fl. Down the road from my house a cyclist was t-boned by a black bear. I don’t think they see so well.
I always wear my helmet, jacket, and boots. This thread has me thinking of investing in some summer armored pants. Thanks

Just ordered some .

Last edited:
Glad you are around to tell the story!!!

One of the best feelings I ever had, was after my 65MPH deer strike, with all the gear (FF helmet, armored jacket/pants, MC boots, and MC gloves) doing it's job, was walking into the Emergency Room and the nurse asking "why are you even here?"

Deer do not look both ways before crossing

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad your not too bunged up. Here is an article from a couple years ago published Owners News I found to be very informative.

Article - Deer The Motorcyclists Mennace_Page_1.jpg

Article - Deer The Motorcyclists Mennace_Page_2.jpg

Article - Deer The Motorcyclists Mennace_Page_3.jpg

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Good article. Having lived in deer country here in Minnesota most of my life I generally follow the rules. Try not to ride around dawn or dusk, know which roads and areas have more deer than others, and keep an eye out for more than one. It was a straight stretch of road and I never saw anything crossing before I got to the interception point. Just a young one that was out on his own. In almost 50 years of riding bikes first time I've ever hit one. Slowed down for a few but that was about it. Getting to be more and more of them around this area. Need to do what the Mongols used to do and have a Grand Hunt. Circle up about4 square miles and drive everything to the middle and kill em all:D:D:D

I am surprised by the different outcomes of deer collisions. Some go over the handlebars, some low side, some just blow through the animal unscathed. I wonder if anyone has done a study on it and what's the best way to handle it.

Glad to hear your relatively OK.
Deer are such a menace.
Last week following my buddy and his wife, they were on a GS1200, 2 deer came bounding across a huge open field headed for them doing 65 mph.
They saw them coming and hit the brakes. The Deer ran right at them doing about 15 and I thought the deer were going to run right into them!
I wish someone would invent a proximity explosive device like a bang stick for sharks.
I would be the first to buy it.
Nick
1978 R80/7

Not enough cougars and wolves

My car has been hammered on both sides by bucks coming out of my peripheral vision at the last millisecond. Since I live in the Ca hills I don't have to worry about moose elk etc. Black bear are only seen on my hikes as they run like hell when I surprise them. I presume deer know how to run in the right direction when a cougar attacks them as the pests proliferate in big numbers. They are just not wired to figure out motor vehicles. Sorry if you are a rancher but I hope for more cougars and wolves which are smart enough to run from vehicles and will eat more of these vermin. I don't like venison or I would do my part and hunt.

Glad you are ok except for the rash

I've thankfully missed a lot of deer being from Texas Hill Country. I'm always looking for them but they always surprise me when they dart across and I know there are a few more coming. I think the best thing to do is brake if you know you're going to hit one and not swerve. Putting on the brakes at least put's some traction on the pavement maybe helps decelerate (I said maybe) ...the momentum of the somersault.

I touched the front brake to slow a little one time in Yellowstone when I saw pea gravel on the pavement. The brake apparently stuck closed and the bike and I both did a somersault. My helmet and face shield like yours was gouged and scraped up, the rest of me not so lucky; I'm still thankful to this day that I always wear a helmet. I also had a bear run behind me while riding through Yellowstone on another trip; I did not touch my brake.

Again, glad you came out OK and enjoy your new ride when you get it.

Back