• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 GSA rear gator issue

doug30995

Just noticed that my rear drive gator is out of shape, any ideas on how to fix it? I know that there are shaping wires that hold up the pleats, but before I dig in, just want to see if anyone else has run into this issue? Thanks

8F5413AA-408D-4535-90C8-925C6ABF4A73.jpg

Last edited:
Just noticed that my rear drive gator is out of shape, any ideas on how to fix it? I know that there are shaping wires that hold up the pleats, but before I dig in, just want to see if anyone else has run into this issue? Thanks

View attachment 85363

You can probably snap it back into place but you better tip the final drive and see if there's a bunch of water and rust in there.

You may want to inspect it to see if it has a hole in it. Spread the "peaks" and look in the "valleys" where the boot is closest to the u-joints.

I was involved in a Tech Day with Boxflyer recently and he has found quite a few of those final drive boots (on GS bikes) with holes in it. I have an RT and I know what that one is supposed to do and yours should be the same part, but I cannot comment on its condition, as you described; yours looks like it is not properly seated. There also appears to be a rust spot developing on the swing arm at the very bottom center of you photo. It is where the rubber part of the boot is supposed to seal. Moisture is likely to get by and depending how long the boot was not properly seated, it could be a source for rust,.

I do know there is a a wire ring around the round, plastic part of the boot where it joins the rubber part. That needs to be checked to make sure it is not damaged too; the boot can be easily torn away from the plastic portion, rendering the part unsuable.

If no holes are in it then the F/F needs to be removed and properly cleaned around the mating surface before applying some white lithium grease. The swing arm surface area for the boot should be free of the dried out lube, too. The plastic tabs on the inside need to be pushed in to fully seat the boot.

Check out one of his videos about that boot on the RT. Skip to 15:50 or so. You will get a better idea about the plastic tabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_1gPRA274

Just had BoxFlyer replace my FD rubber boot ($64 USD for the part), in the process of lubing my FD splines. I had bought the rubber boot beforehand, and fully intended to replace it, regardless of what he found, after dropping the final drive to inspect/lube the FD splines. My bike is a 2015 GSA. He certainly found many GSs/GSAs with holes in the rear FD rubber boot.

Thank You

The boot is back in place, seems that it became dislodged during my last long distance ride. May have been a grease issue with the boot. The splines were fine, I hand cleaned and lubed several months ago.

When my wife and I two up camp on my '13R1200GS LC with the stock shock it is overloaded at 1100 lbs GVW and we ride dirt roads.

I'm on my 3rd boot in 30,000 in 2 years and know that the overloading was kinking the boot and then the universal would rub through it giving me a permanent kink and a hole.

I've invested in a Trac-Tiv ESA rear shock with a 180 NM/mm spring and don't plan on kinking the boot any time soon.
My sag is perfect 2 up without our camping gear when set on 2 helmets, much better (higher) than before.

9BE4A654-8485-4348-BDA8-AE9CF1CB4116.jpg

Back