• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 1150 GS Steering Head Bearing Bolt Problem need help

mslacool

Hi, This problem started about six months ago when I decided to try to swap my fork seals out and change out a steering head bearing, with no experience, and a dealer who forgot it and I had to pick it up before I headed back to Montana. I was also delivered the wrong part ( bearings) from a parts supplier and did not have a press or schematic. The bike sits in my garage awaiting me to solve the problem which if I had a the right bearing, or could send the headset away, I could fix or haul it to the dealer which I would like not to do. I am in Phoenix near the Papago Park area and I wonder if any of you could offer help as to where I could simply send the headset out to have new bearings and parts pressed in, or actually get the guts of the steering head assembly so I could at least try to press it in my self or get a local to do it? Its been sort of an amateurs DIY nightmare. The bearing was sketchy but out of the bike it did not feel bad. I am sure that someone with a schematic and the right tools or vise or press could do it in a quick bit? I have pictures of the bike and assembly on my phone. 406.880.0152 if you want them.

TIA

Paul Cooley

At least I found this Steering headbolt is 18 mm

I found a bolt at ACE for 5.00. Now I have my front end held together. Popped a brake line in the process now need new brake lines
Paul

Back