• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Flying with a Helmet

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I'm looking to buy a new ride and I've limited myself up to now to local bikes only. However, I've seen some good bikes online a day or two ride away. So, I'm curious what people's experience flying with a helmet lately. I found some information online with a Google search recommending that people don't take their helmets as checked luggage. TSA's website indicates helmets (are OK as carry-on or checked luggage, but the TSA officer has the final word on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint. It is also noted that there are many types of helmets and they don't specify different types of helmets. Has anyone encounter any trouble from TSA and/or the airline taking the helmet as carry-on luggage?

FYI, I tried searching here, but could not find a previous thread/discussion on this.

I flew across the country with a Shuberth C3 modular helmet as a carry-on in the past year -- one connecting flight. No problems at all. I stuffed it full of gloves, socks, thermal stuff.

Have a good bag to make it easy to carry in an airport if a long / connecting flight.

I've never had a problem on any flights domestic or international with my helmet as carry on luggage.

No problem in 2010 when flying from Indiana to Oregon. And this week will do so again. In fact, under United Airline's "rules of engagement (travel)", helmets are specifically allowed per segment regarding sports equipment.

They'll just look at you like you're stupid.
I'm used to that look :)

Not if you have the whole wardrobe on-

darth-vader-picture-id474735818

:)

OM

You might have more problems flying one way. I did once and the TSA said they were expecting me.

You might have more problems flying one way. I did once and the TSA said they were expecting me.

I've done two cross-country flights from Newark to LA, both one-way (and both wearing motorcycle gear, but only one with a helmet, the other flight I shipped a helmet there). Neither were a problem.

When I lived in Kansas. I sold my R100RS to a guy from Texas. He flew up wearing a one piece leather riding suit and carrying a helmet. He planned to ride back straight thru the night.

When I lived in Kansas. I sold my R100RS to a guy from Texas. He flew up wearing a one piece leather riding suit and carrying a helmet. He planned to ride back straight thru the night.

Nobody wants to mess with a Texan in a one piece leather riding suit.

Should not be a problem

I've bought a few bikes that I've had to fly in and ride back and always carried my helmet with me as carry on.
Like one PP said...and especially if your have to many carry-on you can just wear it. No rules about wearing your hat; I've worn my hat on all my flights, international and domestic.

I always carry my helmet carryon, I don't want to risk crushing in the baggage hold. Never an issue at airports domestic or international. Same goes for ski boots as that's one thing very hard to replace if you land and your luggage is lost.

Back