• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Steering Damper

bobs_one

Both my 2014RT and my 2017GSA were equipped with steering dampers from the factory. The steering damper on my KTM dirt bike requires rebuilding, from time to time.

Are the Factory BMW dampers "lifetime"? I have not seen anything about them failing and/or needing rebuilding.

Just wondering.

Data point of one, and I don't own a Wethead, but my own R850R built in 1996 is still on the original steering damper and it works perfectly well.
This has surprised me considering how bad the condition of the rest of the bike was when I bought it. It sat in someone's yard for three years and the forks were leaky, shocks were shot, tires were rotting, various rubber bits were breaking down, etc. But the steering damper is still intact and works great.

This is probably because it's mounted in a weird slightly-hidden spot on my bike, under the Telelever but above the fender, so it's protected from direct sun and weather exposure and road spray.

I think if they're kept reasonably protected from the elements they last a really long time.

The OEM steering damper is pretty much useless as it is too weak to be effective IMHO. It can't be adjusted for the terrain you're riding on, at least for the GS/A.
I was glad that I had replaced the OEM (one of the first mods on the bike) with a Yucagar from Ted Porter, as it saved me from dumping the bike in loose terrain.
The Yucagar from Ted Porter can be rebuilt, but I don't know if the OEM can be rebuilt.

Did the new steering damper smooth out wind buffeting feel in the front end at all or help improve high speed handling ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the new steering damper smooth out wind buffeting feel in the front end at all or help improve high speed handling ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know if this was addressed to me, but I can say that you really notice the difference when you're passing trucks and dealing with crosswinds.
The bike feels and is a lot more planted on the road. YMMV

Back