• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Will it fit - R100RS in short bed

motodan

I have to truck a new to me bike. The only trucks available are crew cabs with short beds. From what I see online the short beds are 62" long, not sure how far a downed tailgate will extend this. The bike has a 57" wheelbase with 18" wheels. If I use that wheelbase plus half front wheel diameter (9") it's 66", not counting front tire thickest. If ya add 3" for tire it totals 69". Question is, will rear tire patch be sitting securely on tailgate? This is on paper as I have neither the truck or bike yet to take measurements. So, any real time experience out there with this size bike in a "short" bed? Thanks

Yes, but do you want all that weight on the tailgate? Hopefully, you have a good hill, ditch, or loading to to get in in there! How about renting a utility trailer?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Different trucks have different length beds. If a bed on any of the trucks you are thinking of using is short, you can sit the bike on a wooden plank of the appropriate size to make up the length difference. If you want to get fancy, you can add “wings” to the front of the plank to help capture the front wheel.
Be careful when loading into the truck bed and try to “flatten” the load angle to as close to 0 degrees as possible.
Moving a bike in the back of a truck is one of my least favorite ways to move a bike. U-Haul motorcycle trailer perhaps?
OM

You should be fine if as slowpokepete suggested putting the front wheel in a front corner of the bed. The bike will be more secure that way anyway when tied down. The weight on the tailgate should be a non-issue.

U-Haul rents a nice motorcycle trailer with built in wheel choke and built in ramp gate for $14 per day. Works great!

:dance:dance:dance

I just got my Ram pickup set up to haul my R1200RT. We are headed down to Missouri in a few weeks. Mama is coming with and she has an aversion to riding in cold weather. October in North Dakota and you can pretty much guarantee some cold riding, rain too, bad combination! I have made the ride a few times before and always had poor weather. One time we rode 200 miles in pouring rain at 35F. Saw a few snow flakes too!

Any way I bought a piece of 3/4" plywood. I cut it off a couple inches past the tailgate when it is down. I added a 2x4 to stiffen up the rear edge and added a wheel chock, bolted with carriage bolts through the plywood. I just slid this into the pickup box, the plywood is not bolted down. I used my lift table to get the RT up to the level of the box and rolled it in. A few ratchet straps front and back and it isn't going any where.

The box on the Ram is 5'7" and the rear tire of the RT centers just past the box, onto the tailgate. With the 3/4" plywood taking the weight and spreading it out the end of the box of probably taking the bulk of the weight.

Attachments

• BikeRamRot1.jpg
    BikeRamRot1.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
From what I was able to find just now, my bike is a few inches longer in total than yours so this info might help. The BMW Wiki has my 1997 R850R at 86.5 inches long and Wikipedia has the R100RS listed at 83.9 inches long.

I was able to haul my bike in the bed of a 2011 Ford F150 Limited SuperCrew with the tailgate down when I bought it. That truck is listed as having a 6.5 foot bed so your mileage may vary, but the particular truck I used has a roll-up bed cover with a metal casing that takes up probably 6 inches at the front of the bed.
My bike wasn't angled relative to the bed. We rolled the bike straight in, pushed the front wheel into the front of the bed (against the metal casing of the roll-up bed cover), and the rear tire was sitting on the tailgate with the contact patch maybe 6 inches from the end. The very tip of the large factory rear fender on my bike was over the edge of the tailgate.

I think with a standard 6 foot bed you'd likely be able to make it work diagonally with the tailgate down, assuming the dimensions I found are accurate.

Our bikes weigh about the same and I didn't have any issues on the 3-hour ride back from Georgia with a solid set of ratchet straps, but I also don't know what the listed tailgate capacity of a U-haul rental truck is. If the bike has a center stand you could put it up on that to keep the weight off the rear wheel and tailgate, and run a strap from the center stand to the front fork or front wheel to keep it from folding.

2017 Ram crew cab/short bed and 2007 R1200RT. Front tire is about 3 inches away from bed wall due to wheel chock.

663E1611-3FDC-4F41-B248-B6C8529B0461.jpg

PoorUB -

I changed the image in your post as you requested. BTW...I hope you got the rear tire fixed on the RAM!

0FE54B5B-00AB-43DF-B9E8-7BC7F0A0536A.jpeg
I used a Harbor Freight steel roll around dolly pan to put my R9 T in the back of my Jeep Gladiator. Kept all the weight off the tailgate once fully loaded.

Appreciate all the input. Lots of great suggestions however, my rental begins at airport 2,000 miles from home on a restricted time table. Therefore, the purchase and modifications of various items isn't workable. The option on truck size is also limited to a Chevy Colorado, Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma, which all have closer to 60" deep boxes. With gate down I think it can work, if the tailgate weight limit is reasonable. Once loaded the weight (back half of bike) shouldn't exceed 250 pounds or so on tailgate. I do believe most gates are rated at 500 pounds+. Thanks again for taking time to reply and sharing pixs.

I've put all 3 of my bikes in my truck bed.
What I have found its easy to lose control and drop 'em.
Your 60 yr/old wife might not have enough upper body strength to be of much help.
Ask me how I know.
When using a ramp there's going to be a point when the bike gets higher and higher.
If you can find any high spot to put the lower end of the ramp on will help alot.
3 strong guys are minimum IMHO
Oh and don't try and get them up the ramp with the motor, just push 'em.
Nick
1990 K 75 RT

PoorUB -

I changed the image in your post as you requested. BTW...I hope you got the rear tire fixed on the RAM!

LOL!

Thanks!

My lift is about 4 inches too short so I let the air out of the rear tires, then it was right on. I have a aluminum ramp to get the bike out and back in when we get there. Hopefully my buddy finds a good place to unload.

Appreciate all the input. Lots of great suggestions however, my rental begins at airport 2,000 miles from home on a restricted time table. Therefore, the purchase and modifications of various items isn't workable.

Anyone in "The book" in the area that might volunteer to get you set up before hand? It would be great to have a piece of plywood and a wheel cock waiting. Some of the final trimming and size adjustments could be made at the last second.

In which city is the motorcycle?

Anyone in "The book" in the area that might volunteer to get you set up before hand? It would be great to have a piece of plywood and a wheel cock waiting. Some of the final trimming and size adjustments could be made at the last second.

In which city is the motorcycle?

This is a good suggestion. It sure would help to buy a chock and piece of plywood before picking up the bike.

Back