• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lamp indicator 05 R1200ST

100rider

Went to work the other day and the display indicated a defective lamp with the up arrow.

Well after work I checked all bulbs and they were all working correctly.

About halfway back to my place, the indicator came on again and this time the right turn signal wouldn't work (no green arrow on the dash).

Did a quick ops check in the garage and yes the right side, nothing worked. This included the 4 way flasher.

Went back out after an hour and just turned on ignition but didn't start the bike and everything worked.

So started the bike and after about a minute the lamp indicator came on and again no right turn signal.

I use to work in electronics and this one is a little baffling since I don't have a schematic yet.

Anyone else have this issue?

I'd replace the bulb first (cheap and easy). I have had bulbs that will make intermittent contact because the filament is loose on one side, and will be lined up correctly after it's shaken.

Same issue

I thought this was an older thread than it is so I had PM'd 100rider. Since it is pretty fresh, I'll keep the thread going. Maybe someone has had a fix.
My 05 ST is doing the exact same thing. Had it checked at the local BMW shop and, of course, they could not replicate the error. [The fault cleared on the way to the shop that morning! LOL]
I just went about 2 weeks without the error showing only to have it fault again two days ago without going away since.
While in the shop, they pulled the lamps and checked connections with no problem found. There was no error history stored from the faults.

Fault persisted intermittently this week so I made it a priority this morning to pull the bulbs and check & clean the contacts. Still, the fault was there. Finally decided to swap the bulbs, left and right, and the fault followed! I should have found my culprit. Darndest part is, the bulb has continuity and the signals work intermittently. How the heck is it the bulb?? Should have a replacement installed tomorrow morning though and we’ll find out. Thank you all for the replies.

How.... some possibilities:
As Dr. Neo said, the filament can be broken, but still be touching at the break so it appears to work sometimes, and it's hard to see without a magnifying glass.
Or, as the filament has aged, it has lost enough material so that its resistance has gone up; this reduces the current draw, and the computer senses that error.
Or, the bottom "tip" of the bulb is just soft solder, and it has partially deformed.

If you want to do forensics compare the current of the new to the old across the same power source.

Just purchased the same vehicle and I have the same indicator on my dash. However all my lights are working. I am looking at replacing my headlights just incase and the side light. However I can't find what size bulb I need for the sidelight in the manual or through google. For reference its the one below the high/lowbeam bulbs.

lamps.jpg

194, 168, W5W, 147, 152, 158, 159, 192, 193 all use the same base and will fit, but the height and wattage varies

2005 R1200ST Lamp Indicator

Went to work the other day and the display indicated a defective lamp with the up arrow.

Well after work I checked all bulbs and they were all working correctly.

About halfway back to my place, the indicator came on again and this time the right turn signal wouldn't work (no green arrow on the dash).

Did a quick ops check in the garage and yes the right side, nothing worked. This included the 4 way flasher.

Went back out after an hour and just turned on ignition but didn't start the bike and everything worked.

So started the bike and after about a minute the lamp indicator came on and again no right turn signal.

I use to work in electronics and this one is a little baffling since I don't have a schematic yet.

Anyone else have this issue?

Based on what you have explained here I would highly recommend you replace that motorcycle with one just like it . I just listed one here for sale!

Back