• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1975 R90/6 starting problem

ridenow45

Hi Forum. Having trouble starting my 1975 R90/6. I've seen a few posts that tells me I might be on the right track. Bike's been sitting approx. 3 years. Installed a new battery. Engine wil not crank, (first time that's ever happened BTW). Starter relay clicks but no click at the starter solenoid. Large wire attached to the starter has power. Starter relay contacts were pretty gunky so I cleaned those up. Still no click at the starter solenoid. I disconnected the thin wire to the starter solenoid and checked with a multi meter - not getting any power at that wire when I press the starter button. Is my starter relay dead? I do have a neutral light on at the instrument cluster. Actually, the terminals broke off the neutral switch years ago and I jumpered the wires together, so the neutral light is always on. Any info - help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Just for the heck of it

Just for the heck of it, give the terminals on the relay a good cleaning. It has been known to happen dirty ones will not let the relay work properly. Might save you a buck. St.

Just for the heck of it, give the terminals on the relay a good cleaning. It has been known to happen dirty ones will not let the relay work properly. Might save you a buck. St.

Will clean them up some more. Corrosion looks like it might have been from a leaky master cylinder. Got some work ahead of me. Thanks much.

--Jim

Leak

Ah yes, one of the main causes of dead or non functioning relays is the under tank master cylinder. Two jobs to fix, my sympathy for you. St.

Back