• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New extended warranty- direct from BMW

The repair costs on new bikes is rather hefty and it seems more and more, some dealer input is required. It’s nice if you can do the work yourself but it also seems fewer are- note the threads on service scheduling times.

Last I remember reading was that a BMW repair had a two year warranty in itself so a service plan actually opens the window for more coverage on the actual repair.

This seemed like news that a BMW owner may be interested in. Before I got all wound up over the cost I would check to see what the other manufacturers were offering past their one year warranty.

IMO the extended warranty is worth it just for the possibility of electrical problems alone. I added 3 years to my Indian's 2-yr warranty for (IIRC) $1100.

Just wanted to offer a slight rant. I asked my dealer what the cost for the extended warranty for my R18 was and they gave me this print out (July 2022 pricing)

3r2agbE.jpeg

I was blown away that my R18 would cost $3630 for 7 years versus $1320 had I just bought an identically priced R1250GS...a bike that I would personally put 10X the amount of miles on. He said "Blame the K1600" and it took no time for me to remember that the K1600's motor is expensive, lots of labor to get at that motor, a lot more electronics and features, electronic suspension, etc etc. The R1800 is a heritage bike with a BMW warranty plan that is 2.75 times the cost of warranting an, in my opinion, more used and more electronically complex R1250GS.

My opinion is the R18 should cost closer to the F850/F900 ($1,090) than the K1600. BMW chose to do it by engine size which I believe is short-sighted.

I decided to not go with the warranty from BMW for my R18. I think the TFT screen for about $1200 is the most expensive thing I'll have to buy for it. If it was closer to $1,500, that would have been a no-brainer.

last bit of rant...you can walk into a dealer and drive away with a $13,000 Base BMW R18 still. they're out there. BMW then wants to sell you a $3630 warranty for it or about 30% of the out the door price to give you an additional 4 years warranty. Completely absurd. Back to why I think the CC thing is not proper, A G310GS is $1090 to warranty...as is an F900XR? That doesn't make much sense. I hope someone buying a G310GS doesn't spend 20% of the bike's MSRP on a warranty. This table makes It easier for dealers but I'd like it to be priced per bike like it used to be (let me dig up the old pricing)

Here is how the 3rd parties used to price out warranties (2017 pricing via MaxBMW)...I'm not arguing price or coverage but I like how it was broken out by model:
vyYO7j3l.jpeg

Lots of differences Adam. I’m still a fan of buying an extended warranty directly from the manufacturer. On a new vehicle purchase, it used to be that it could be had deeply discounted during negotiations on the end “deal”.
With inflation running at a four decade high, I also find it tough to figure out where pricing should really be. :dunno
I can also say that when I did purchase an extended warranty, the hope was that I “jinxed” away ever needing it. ;)
OM

I was blown away that my R18 would cost $3630 for 7 years versus $1320 had I just bought an identically priced R1250GS...

Adam, the problem BMW is having trying to price insurance for the R18, is that since they have only sold about five of them in the U.S. they don't have enough data to calculate the cost of repairs.....;-)

Just a little Finance 101 ... apologizing in advance if this is somehow insulting.

1. When you bought your bike new, one of the things you paid for was the warranty.

2. Warranties are same thing as insurance policies ... insurance companies make money, and among the total population that purchases the warranty, the warranty company will take in more than it pays out. Life insurance is obviously a little different, but life insurance policies are profitable for the insurer as well.

3. Major corporations are often "self insured." Normally they will have their own reserves for unexpected charges. This is particularly relevant to employee health care coverage ... that contractor is providing their expertise in healthcare for a fee, but they are paying out company funds.

4. Understand that if something goes wrong with your bike that is a safety or emissions issue, that becomes a Federally mandated recall and the manufacturer is required by law to fix the problem for you for free. I just had a free checkup on my 15-year old SUV.

5. You may already be buying collision insurance for your bike. A warranty on the motor, transmission, or clutch may be much the same as you prepaying for that repair ... again the warranty company makes money and they've had and invested your money in the meantime.

Kris, no doubt you are correct in your assessment of warranties. However I purchased 4 additional years of transferable warranty on a $22,000 motorcycle for $980. Even if I never use the policy, my guess is that if I sell the bike after around 5 years, I will get my $980 back because the bike will still have 2 years of warranty left. I think the price is very reasonable, but if it doesn't work for you I completely understand.

When I bought my 1986K K 75 and Voni’s 1994 R100RS or my 2003 R1150R I did not think at all that I needed an extended warranty. However having bought 2 G310 GS bikes I now wish I had bought extended warranties. Last year Voni‘s 310 broke a valve and had the engine seized at 27,000 miles. BMW graciously replaced that engine, Goodwill, even though the bike was six months out of warranty. This year, my G3 10 had the engine seized at 27,000 miles a year and a half out of warranty. I still don’t know whether Bmw is going to do anything although my dealer is doing its best to seek assistance from Bmw. Time will tail how this works out.

When I bought my 1986K K 75 and Voni’s 1994 R100RS or my 2003 R1150R I did not think at all that I needed an extended warranty. However having bought 2 G310 GS bikes I now wish I had bought extended warranties. Last year Voni‘s 310 broke a valve and had the engine seized at 27,000 miles. BMW graciously replaced that engine, Goodwill, even though the bike was six months out of warranty. This year, my G3 10 had the engine seized at 27,000 miles a year and a half out of warranty. I still don’t know whether Bmw is going to do anything although my dealer is doing its best to seek assistance from Bmw. Time will tail how this works out.

Wow, those are some pretty serious failures, and way lower in mileage than I'd expect of a motorcycle with the roundel on it.

Back