• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New extended warranty- direct from BMW

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
From a MAX BMW email-

BMW Motorcycles have a generous warranty, but if you plan to ride more than the standard 3 years/36,000 miles, you may want to consider extending your warranty with a BMW Motorrad ESC (Extended Service Contract.)

BMW Motorrad ESC is available on all new BMW motorcycles and scooters and used BMW motorcycles that are up to 3 years beyond expiration of your original factory warranty period.
Since this is a manufacturer-backed warranty (not a 3rd party) it is valid at all North American authorized BMW dealers, providing you the ultimate peace of mind when you're on the road:
BMW Motorrad ESC Features:
Up to 7 years of coverage with unlimited miles
24-Hour Roadside Assistance
100% Original BMW Replacement Parts
$0 Deductible
Electrical
No claim pre-approvals before service
Coverage of most major components is included with BMW Motorrad ESC:
Engine
Transmission
Final Drive Assembly
Electrical
Cooling System
Fuel System
Steering and suspension
Braking and ABS system
Body Equipment
Emissions Systems
Pricing for extended warranty is more affordable than you might think! Call or email for a free quote to extend your warranty.

I don’t know the particulars but from my experience, OEM backed extended warranty’s work best

OM

I just did this thru Hermy's BMW in Pennsylvania on a used 2018 G310GS I purchased there. The bike was still under the original warranty, but it was to expire in just over a month. The price of the extended warranty was barely what one fairly easy service would cost. Getting it was an easy decision.

I just checked with my "local" (130 miles away) dealer on this new, backed by BMW, Extended Service Contract (not an extension of the original BMW warranty). My '17 R1200RT, which I purchased just one year ago (with 4,000 miles at the time) and now has 8,000 miles, would need an inspection at the dealer, which is quite understandable. I didn't ask what the charge would be for that inspection. I believe this bike was originally purchased in April, 2017, so it is close to 18 months beyond original warranty. Because of this combination of dates, they can only offer a one or two year contract. And the quoted price...for one year $1,120.00, 2 years $1,660.00.

Do believe my peace of mind will be better kept by keeping my money.

Last edited:
Two years for over 1600 bucks?? What a freaking deal....if you are BMW. Then on top of it all isn't the extended warranty from a third party and not from BMW direct? I would never ever consider such an outrageous ridiculous deal like this and if I thought I absolutely needed it for peace of mind the BMW would for sure find a new owner as in right now! Talk about a joke!

Well, I posted this for those interested……..apparently some are not.

The repair costs on new bikes is rather hefty and it seems more and more, some dealer input is required. It’s nice if you can do the work yourself but it also seems fewer are- note the threads on service scheduling times.
Last I remember reading was that a BMW repair had a two year warranty in itself so a service plan actually opens the window for more coverage on the actual repair.
This seemed like news that a BMW owner may be interested in. Before I got all wound up over the cost I would check to see what the other manufacturers were offering past their one year warranty.
BTW, if BMW doesn’t turn a profit, it would be tough to stay in business.
:dunno
OM

Well, no doubt BMW is turning a profit of that you can be sure. Another thing for sure is my '93 RSL is the newest BMW I will ever own. Of course my age enters into this big time so maybe not as negative as it sounds. lol..lol..

And the quoted price...for one year $1,120.00, 2 years $1,660.00.
Do believe my peace of mind will be better kept by keeping my money.

Peace of mind is a relative term. However, it makes me wonder what information BMW has regarding the reliability/failures of their bikes. BMW chose that number most likely based on failure rates of certain parts and the cost to replace them. They then factored in some profit. That works out to a high probability of a high dollar amount failure over the two-year period (1 out of ±12 bikes). This makes me wonder if it’s worthwhile owning late model BMW long term, since BMW does not appear have a high confidence that their bikes will last over the long haul. I’m not sure that’s the intent they were going for.

Two years for over 1600 bucks?? What a freaking deal....if you are BMW. Then on top of it all isn't the extended warranty from a third party and not from BMW direct? I would never ever consider such an outrageous ridiculous deal like this and if I thought I absolutely needed it for peace of mind the BMW would for sure find a new owner as in right now! Talk about a joke!

per OP...NO; it's OEM

I will be getting this on my bike. My OEM warranty expires in December and I know of a few small annoyances that may turn into warranty claims and I've done the math and if they fail, it'll cost more than $1600.

Do keep in mind, this is not an extended factory warranty, it's an extended Service Contract. It does not provide the same coverage as an original warranty. It may result in a good deal for some. And yes, I'd rather have BMW's name on the contract, as opposed to some third party however, in my situation, the price is not acceptable. Others opinions my differ.

Do keep in mind, this is not an extended factory warranty, it's an extended Service Contract. It does not provide the same coverage as an original warranty..

It's confusing to me. BMW calls it a (Extended Service Contract.) but they list items that do not require service making it sound like a warranty.
Hopefully dealers are well educated on the plan and able to explain it to customers.
It would be a good idea to take a close look at the contract before deciding.

BMW Extended Service Contract

I bought a '17 R1200RT in April of '18. After a couple of years on this and other BMW forums, reading about premature cam wear and rear drive failures, and reading what the costs of repair, etc. (and what BMW was and was not doing about it) I decided to look into an extended service contract before my factory warranty expired. I bought a five year plan for +/- $1500.00, but here's what I learned: The plans are all written by a few (very few) main underwriters who sell the plans to middle-man providers who put their name on them and administer the plans. These middle-men sell the plans wholesale to the dealers who can mark up the price the same way they would on anything else they sell. The advice to read the plans carefully -- to understand what's covered, what it takes to get reimbursed, what it takes to transfer the plan if you sell the bike (if that feature is available), etc. is VERY good advice. I believe, but do not know, that BMW is/has made a deal with one of the underwriters and is acting as the middle-man and basically re-selling the plan(s) to their dealers. So my guess is that BMW has researched the plan(s) selected an underwriter and put their name on it... probably a win-win-win for everyone. One more thing to consider: Is BMW's plan only "good" at BMW dealers or can you go to any certified mechanic/shop? One other thing I learned in the process is that there was a HUGE difference in the price of the plans based on whether or not the bike was still under factory warranty.

Do keep in mind, this is not an extended factory warranty, it's an extended Service Contract. It does not provide the same coverage as an original warranty.

Ok, I'm a little confused. I went to buy this at my dealer and he wasn't quite set up to sell it yet, but he had the brochure. My bike is still under warranty and this product was described as extending your factory warranty with all the original coverage. You pay for the number of extra years you want. I will go back and look at the brochure again but nothing described it as a service contract.

Ok, I'm a little confused. I went to buy this at my dealer and he wasn't quite set up to sell it yet, but he had the brochure. My bike is still under warranty and this product was described as extending your factory warranty with all the original coverage. You pay for the number of extra years you want. I will go back and look at the brochure again but nothing described it as a service contract.

I was going off the initial post that contained MAX BMW's email below, I highlighted pertinent wording in red:

"From a MAX BMW email-

BMW Motorcycles have a generous warranty, but if you plan to ride more than the standard 3 years/36,000 miles, you may want to consider extending your warranty with a BMW Motorrad ESC (Extended Service Contract.)

BMW Motorrad ESC is available on all new BMW motorcycles and scooters and used BMW motorcycles that are up to 3 years beyond expiration of your original factory warranty period.
Since this is a manufacturer-backed warranty (not a 3rd party) it is valid at all North American authorized BMW dealers, providing you the ultimate peace of mind when you're on the road:
BMW Motorrad ESC Features:
Up to 7 years of coverage with unlimited miles

Coverage of most major components is included with BMW Motorrad ESC:
Pricing for extended warranty is more affordable than you might think! Call or email for a free quote to extend your warranty.
I don’t know the particulars but from my experience, OEM backed extended warranty’s work best"

Not sure who put that together, but they use both the terms "Warranty" and "Service Contract", which is it? The "covers most" wording should make one pause and ask additional questions. Does that mean typical maintenance items are not covered (which I'd assume) or is it something more? And they state up to seven years coverage however, maximum appears to be three years beyond the factory warranty of three years, for a total of six years. Paint me cynical, which I am, but when the initial presentation is flawed (needs more explanation), I question how transparent it all is. And the price I was quoted, $1,660 for two years of coverage on a 2017 RT, with less than 8,000 miles, seems rather high. Some reputable third party vendors are cheaper and allow work completed at other than BMW shops. And lastly, the inspection, by a BMW shop to qualify for this coverage, I assume would not be free. Just one way of rationalizing decisions made.

I've always felt (since the days I sold them) that BMW's lack of having an extended warranty (or Service Contract?) product, was that they did know the cost involved and decided their pricing for it would make such a product unmarketable. If that was their thinking, in my case, they were/are right. I hope others, who partake, find it beneficial.

Last edited:
Quote from Dealer.

Makes the three year extension of the factory warranty I got for $395 on my FJR look like a pretty good deal. When that extension was about to run out they offered an additional two years for around $700, if memory serves me correctly.

Back