• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Paint suggestions

mike_77_r100rs

Hi All,

I'm thinking about re-painting my 77 R100RS. It's currently a naked bike. When I purchased it a few years ago it came w/o the fairing and painted the correct color for the year, but the paintjob is a bit home made.

Looking for suggestions on color scheme and skilled painters experienced with BMW colors.

My current thinking is keep things somewhat original. Either stick 100% with the year/model's color. But it will never be a fully original bike w/o the fairing. The other direction is to use the R100S color scheme which I like and eventually install an S fairing. A 3rd option would be the 90S color scheme which is very attractive, but I'm not sure about making the bike a 90S tribute.

Attaching some photos of colors.

1.jpegbike.jpgdownload.png

Smoke Red!

My '79 R 100S is Smoke Red, very sharp. I will have to dig it out and snap a few. When I got it it needed a little bit of repair on the fairing, I got a little carried away with the paint. I had the rear fender and battery covers painted in Smoke Red also, that makes it really stand out.

Suggestion: I would get a decent OEM S fairing and 3/4 seat set up for the bike and get all the body work painted at the same time. I would go with Smoke Red with Gold hand painted pinstripes as they are found on the S bikes. As far as painters go look around for a local painter that can demonstrate they're ability to match the paint color and properly apply the smoke pattern. You may be challenged to find a decent pinstripe person depending on your location, a nice pinstripe job can hide small flaws in the paint work.

It is really REALLY hard to find a painter that can replicate the factory smoke effect.

Kent Holt of the Holt Design Organization is the one name I know that can do it perfectly, and with the correct paints and techniques. He is not cheap, but he is among the very best.

If you can’t afford that, my thought is to keep it simple, avoid trying to replicate the smoke, and try to find someone who works with the right types of paint.

Also, it is worth re-lining your tank while you’re at it.

Good luck!

Ian

I agree Kent Holt is the absolute best !

He also has a back log and is very meticulous with his work which does take time and a fat wallet, you pay for quality and exactness on paint and pinstripe. If that is what your looking for give him a call, he has done more than a few jobs for me and I have always been very VERY satisfied. It comes down to what are you looking for and what are you willing to pay in $$$$ and time to finish the job. A concourse restoration, custom job with no equal with an unlimited time frame and budget go with Holt as he is top notch. If you want a great looking rider with nice paint and a unique look do some foot work and get to know some local artist along with take a chance on a couple mistakes here and there. Always keep in mind your bike is one of many to all but you.

Back