• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Daytona 2022 - Big Changes - Should draw more than a few riders from the continent

How about just promoting all motorcycle events? From trials to super-bike events…..bring them on. Even if the type of bike racing isn’t your deal, set a reminder on your tv access device and it will register a “hit”.
:burnout
OM

Currently on NBCSN-

MotoGP- Misano Grand Prix. Italy.

Following-

Superbike racing.

Coverage may be improving.

OM

AND….

WSBK is followed by American Flat track. There were also two MotoAmerica Superbike races at Barber Motorsport Track yesterday and earlier today.

Well Well Well
The finish of the Daytona 200 was super exciting and very close.
Its up on the internet for those who want to see it.
Nick

Weather….

Good lord the weather was a demon this year… rain/wet track took out the most likely winner Jake Gagne and hampered many teams’ efforts throughout practice, warm-up and racing.

MotoAmerica timing/scoring was plagued with issues, I assume mostly related to teething problems with their first race at the Daytona facility in many years. I watched the race from the best seat in the house… the Media Center!

Flat track racing suffered from day-long rain… which lead to a wet track with a very sketchy low line. Lots of issues with lighting, too, meant long delays. It was nearly midnight when the main event was over.

The Supercross was fantastic as usual, Jett Lawrence is already becoming the next big thing… that kid is head and shoulders above everyone else on the track… reminds me of K-dub.

I took the opportunity to stay a few nights in the top-secret campsite… :D

i-Jxpcv5f-X3.jpg

Is that Bunnel?
Ah man, I miss Daytona! Camping there was such a pleasant break from the drudgery of winter ...

I think you’re thinking Bulow… unfortunately that area is now a huge subdivision.

My spot is a place that’s been in existence (and I have been going to) for nearly 30 years, I will *never* reveal the location! :ha

All I can say is that the location is “inconvenient.”

Maybe you saw my ride report from 18 years ago… The back way to Bike Week. This story was also published in the BMW Owners News.

Amazing that they can get that kind of parity between manufacturers and cylinders - 2, 3, and 4!!

Daytona Report - Kind of was there - A big change.

My dear wife gave me the green flag to attend the Daytona 200 this year and three days out I decided I did not want to make the trip with so much to do at home.

I have been attending Daytona most years since, I think, 1971. I grew up in High School with special attention to Geography because its book format was large enough for Cycle to fit inside. Daytona was in its heyday, Kevin Cameron, and others, were taking it to the factory teams and the two strokes were coming on there own. There was no internet and you could not connect with like minded motorcycle people to the degree you could in Daytona. It was my Woodstock. I remember main street being only a few blocks long and low budget teams working out of the campgrounds.

I soldiered thru the lean years and lately the fan walk gives you a chance to say hi to the racers and thanks to the sponsors. It is still exciting to sit in the stands for the show.

MotoAmerica took over the 200 this year and it was a watershed moment for me.

I am not the sharpest knife in the box but I do try to have a list of entries and qualifying times at the track. I also listen to the track announcer during the race on the radio. Binoculars in hand I can see some of the action on the back of the track.

This year I spotted the Daytona viewing options in Cycle News and signed up with MotoAmerica's streaming, $12.99, all day plan. Oh My God. I have never seen as much Daytona, done perfectly, as far as I am concerned, ever. All the races, not just the 200. Nate Kern on a 9T. I can't understand why someone would want to do the grandstands unless they were streaming at the same time. Great interviews and great camera angles of all parts of the track that no one can see from one place at the facility.

In the 200 a twenty year old kid drafted three riders at the line for a .007 second victory.

All for $12.99.

Next year I will have a grandstand footlong and beer at home for the race and a little Castrol R simmering in the frying pan for effect.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Someone did their homework. World Supersport rules.

You know this much better than I do, but I believe that is what DMG was trying to do back in 2008. Back then, many of the factories balked, or didn’t have a product.

My dear wife gave me the green flag to attend the Daytona 200 this year and three days out I decided I did not want to make the trip with so much to do at home.

You picked a good year not to go. The weather was far from ideal and it messed with both riding and racing quite a bit. Honestly, I am really glad I took the bike in the back of the van.

BikeWeek for me is just as much about going riding in Florida as it is about racing.

First day of really bad weather we have had in some time. The timing of the fast moving front really stunk for this event.

You picked a good year not to go. The weather was far from ideal and it messed with both riding and racing quite a bit. Honestly, I am really glad I took the bike in the back of the van.

BikeWeek for me is just as much about going riding in Florida as it is about racing.

One of the old jokes was "what do they call 50 degrees in Florida?" Answer - "Bike Week".

If it wasn't for freezing my ass off in a tent in Daytona many years, I would have never discovered the warmth of Key West and Shanna Key:) We used to get weathered out in Daytona and head to the Keys to get warm. Now its the other way around. We go to the Keys and then up for the races. Now maybe I will just stream it.

It is a full day of racing on TV with the Detroit Supercross going on that night.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I was searching around YouTube yesterday for the 200 and watched a fantastic race. Brandon Paasch is mature waaay beyond his years. Great patience and skill to get the draft on the last lap and just squeak by with the win.

Then I stumbled on the MotoAmerica Hooligan Series. Looked interesting with Indian, Harley's and KTM's. During the warm-up lap I spot a BMW and lo and behold, it's one of my favorite riders, Nate Kern. I watched that race with Nate holding onto third until the final lap.

Two fantastic races, even if seen from cold and snowy Michigan.

Back