• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which year RT question

TracerBullet

I am in the market for another ride. I am looking around the $10,000 mark or less

My history: I had a 96, 2004, 2014 RT, then another 2004 and then a 16 9T.
Each one was a trade up.
I have been off a BMW since 2018, riding other marques and want to get back into BMW.
What model year RTs should I be looking at?
Any advice?

thanks in advance

I am in the market for another ride. I am looking around the $10,000 mark or less

My history: I had a 96, 2004, 2014 RT, then another 2004 and then a 16 9T.
Each one was a trade up.
I have been off a BMW since 2018, riding other marques and want to get back into BMW.
What model year RTs should I be looking at?
Any advice?

thanks in advance

It seems that you have more experience than most on this board. Go with your gut.

no hesitancy but only have experience with the oil head and wet head. Just curious what the others were like and if it was worth looking at

Interesting response. Why would you go with the newest? Do you consider milage? Care, etc.?

Serious question

Availability of parts down the road, better technology. The older you get the more potential problems with rotting soft parts, rubber and wiring. Newer models have a wet clutch.

Mileage and care factor into it to some degree, but some items like those I mentioned fade away no matter the car or miles.

I suppose it also depends on your intentions as a rider. If your riding is short day trips around the area and just a few miles a year, versus touring across the country from one end to the other an older machine will be fine as if it leaves you broken down getting home is less of an issue.

Availability of parts down the road, better technology. The older you get the more potential problems with rotting soft parts, rubber and wiring. Newer models have a wet clutch.

Mileage and care factor into it to some degree, but some items like those I mentioned fade away no matter the car or miles.

I suppose it also depends on your intentions as a rider. If your riding is short day trips around the area and just a few miles a year, versus touring across the country from one end to the other an older machine will be fine as if it leaves you broken down getting home is less of an issue.

I’m not worried about a ten year old BMW stranding me.

I’m not worried about a ten year old BMW stranding me.

Fine, you asked, I answered. IMO, the older the ride, the more chance things can go wrong.

We are having the conversation on another group about cars. Some feel they were better years ago, easier to work on and so on. My thought is with the newer cars you don't have to work on them, and that can be said with newer motorcycles too.

I had motorcycles with breaker points and carbs, I will take EFI and electronic ignition any day. I have put on 200,000 miles on motorcycles in the last 15 years. The only failures I had didn't have anything to do with the new electronics.

Fine, you asked, I answered. IMO, the older the ride, the more chance things can go wrong.

We are having the conversation on another group about cars. Some feel they were better years ago, easier to work on and so on. My thought is with the newer cars you don't have to work on them, and that can be said with newer motorcycles too.

I had motorcycles with breaker points and carbs, I will take EFI and electronic ignition any day. I have put on 200,000 miles on motorcycles in the last 15 years. The only failures I had didn't have anything to do with the new electronics.

My apologies if my reply came off as rude. Not intended. I do agree that as things age stuff will change. I just never thought about it being that much of an issue at ten years.

Back