Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lengthy Moto E-Mag on BMW Motorrad Philosophy

While I am in general agreement with the writers content, I realize it is just an opinion piece, and nothing more. BMW WANTS a piece of that U.S. sales cruiser pie, and seems willing to throw anything at the wall and see if it sticks. Frankly, I think they would have better luck if they spent the time and money shoring up their ever-shrinking U.S. dealer network. With the ever increasing cost and complexity of today's motorcycle, Harley Davidson riders want that huge dealer network to fall back on. On that, BMW simply can't compete.

Why?

Why would anyone buy a look alike Harley from BMW when there are almost no dealerships around? Harley has the right ideas and they have a very faithful following. BMW is wasting their money, but hey, it is their money to waste. They will sell a bunch of R18 and K1600 baggers, enough to make them think they know what the American market wants. There are always people who will buy fringe bikes or such. Shoot, even Harley is loosing business now, there is a wagon to hitch a horse too.

Nope, no dealership within four hours of me, no interest in BMW. Six Harley dealerships within 100 miles plus a bunch of independent shops. Same goes for Honda and KTM.

The new bikes need factory trained mechanics to work on with factory tools and diagnostic machines, if there is no dealer, why buy a new machine? Makes my airheads look better every time I ride them. St.

The R18 is still better on paper than HDs, but I doubt it will convert anyone.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Why would anyone buy a look alike Harley from BMW when there are almost no dealerships around? Harley has the right ideas and they have a very faithful following. BMW is wasting their money, but hey, it is their money to waste. They will sell a bunch of R18 and K1600 baggers, enough to make them think they know what the American market wants. There are always people who will buy fringe bikes or such. Shoot, even Harley is loosing business now, there is a wagon to hitch a horse too.

Nope, no dealership within four hours of me, no interest in BMW. Six Harley dealerships within 100 miles plus a bunch of independent shops. Same goes for Honda and KTM.

The new bikes need factory trained mechanics to work on with factory tools and diagnostic machines, if there is no dealer, why buy a new machine? Makes my airheads look better every time I ride them. St.
    Probably should call BMW and let them know before they get too deep into this “project”.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Yeah right

Probably should call BMW and let them know before they get too deep into this “project”.

BMW stopped listening to me when they decided to go boutique dealerships with an. over priced product. St.

The editor is stuck in the K-bike era ... an era that's over save for the K1600. Its S1000 and M1000 now. Says he doesn't like Boxers which means he's basically out of touch with BMW.

I think he's correct regarding R18 and hope he's correct it will fail. It's an embarasment to BMW and an insult to its traditional customers and you think they would have learned from the R1200C. Same feelings regarding K1600 Bagger.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    If BMW doesn’t sell new bikes and bring new ideas forward to interest new customers, they won’t have the resources to warehouse parts for the old bikes.
    Hoping BMW will fail in this new endeavor?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I would personally never be interested in owning or riding an R18, but I hope BMW sells every one they can build. Profits from those sales help subsidize the bikes some of us DO like to ride, along with the dealers we depend upon for sales, parts, service, and accessories.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I don't mind

I don't mind BMW bringing new ideas and concepts to the market. I am NOT enamored with big complex expensive motorcycles requiring expensive maintenance costs to keep them running. I am also not enamored with small or midsize complex expensive bikes requiring a lot of money to repair and maintain either. Add the fact of cost to the real lack of dealers and I wonder how they sell any motorcycles at all?

I appreciate BMW still supplying parts for my bikes, they do a better job than some companies. When they choose to NLA everything, I guess I will start fishing instead of riding.

BMW may one day come up with the perfect bike to turn me over to buy something newer than my 84 RT but sadly, I won't ride 4 hours to a dealer to try or buy it.

You can have all the high tech, stylish, whatever, my 84 R80RT is the best motorcycle I have owned. The dealer I bought it from new was one of the best I have ever dealt with. Nothing BMW has now and has on the drawing board will do much to change my view.

Have fun riding what ever you choose, I do. St.

Not even an R18 would make me ride cruisers.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Part of the article tells me why my 2004 RT is gorgeous and nearly every BMW designed afterwards makes me cringe.

BMW nearly went broke designing, manufacturing, and trying to sell practical, easy to maintain, and long lasting products. Then marketing stepped in and with the power of “hype” built the company into what it is today. Buy low, sell high…

The concept of “Caveat emptor” still applies.
    Last edited by OldCamper; 09-21-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

Neglected Bike Adopter
    Has Motorrad said anything publicly about how many R18's they've actually made and sold?

I can't imagine they'd be releasing the new models with all the fairings this year if the original model was a complete sales flop.

Or maybe they intentionally haven't made a ton of them, maybe just a thousand or two every year, and expect to sell them all? I seem to recall they took this approach with the R1200C. I was able to find on Wikipedia that they only produced 350 R1200C Montauk models for the final year of production.
    Owner of the saddest 1997 R850R you ever did see.

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    The R18 is still better on paper than HDs, but I doubt it will convert anyone.
    On paper? Maybe. In the flesh? I rode it. It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post
    On paper? Maybe. In the flesh? I rode it. It's not.
    Which R18? The only one I might be interested in is the R18B. The non-touring ones have less suspension travel, torture seats and no storage or wind protection. The HDs have better fit and finish, but the whole process of buying one leaves me cold. Where I live there's a lot of additional dealer profit that gets thrown in and the process will be drawn out to where one down. Of course this could be any dealer I suppose, I've heard some crazy stories about local HD dealers. I just don't believe. I was in HD of Scottsdale and you should have seen the reaction when I discussed buying my RT and it took no more than an hour at the dealer. I told them if I get a whiff that you've watched Steve Richards and/or Andy Elliot, I'm out.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19