• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2004 R1150RT clutch replacement

Hello,
Just purchased an '04 R1150RT w/57K miles. Bike is in pretty good shape. The clutch engages at the very end of the clutch lever travel (going out). Is that a sign that clutch replacement is called for, ugh right around the corner? If so, approximately what can I expect this to cost at a dealer (East Tenn.)?
Sorry if this has been answered already. Went thru about 20 pages of the Forum without seeing any discussion on this topic.

Sam Creasman

Hello,
Just purchased an '04 R1150RT w/57K miles. Bike is in pretty good shape. The clutch engages at the very end of the clutch lever travel (going out). Is that a sign that clutch replacement is called for, ugh right around the corner? If so, approximately what can I expect this to cost at a dealer (East Tenn.)?
Sorry if this has been answered already. Went thru about 20 pages of the Forum without seeing any discussion on this topic.

Sam Creasman

$2,500

Make sure that the clutch fluid is in the middle of the reservoir. The clutch mechanism is sensitive to the height of the fluid.

Make sure that the clutch fluid is in the middle of the reservoir. The clutch mechanism is sensitive to the height of the fluid.

Now that I'm not confused about which RT this is, I second this.

Since you're new to this RT, Sam, you should know that the hydraulic clutch mechanism causes the fluid in the clutch reservoir to rise as the friction disc wears, which is backwards from what most people are used to with brakes. Your reservoir could be too full, so check your sight glass. If it's visibly too full and you attempt to pull fluid out of it wear latex gloves and eye protection, and lay down some paper towels all around the cap before you open it. The reservoir could be under pressure and a spray of brake fluid is dangerous to your paint and your health.

2004 R1150RT Clutch

Thanks to everyone for your helpful responses.
Part of the issue was my Forrest Gump moment - "Stupid is, as Stupid does, Sir"...

I had adjusted the clutch lever to what I thought was the closest position, when in fact I adjusted it to the furtherest position.
Checked the clutch fluid level and sucked a small amount out to get the fluid back to the proper position on the site glass and then adjusted the lever position to where I really wanted it.

Much better now.
I am slowly making the transition back to Oilheads after my stint with my R100RS

Thanks to all,
Sam

Back