• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery for r1200rs

radiofun1

Redneck Oregonian
I'm about to aquire a 2017 r1200rs that has the original battery. So probably will just replace it. It the risk of starting a major debate, what battery do y'all prefer. I use a Battery Tender.

I'm about to aquire a 2017 r1200rs that has the original battery. So probably will just replace it. It the risk of starting a major debate, what battery do y'all prefer. I use a Battery Tender.

I've bought three in the past 30 days:

a 18 for a 2010 RT. BMW original. $205 out the door
A lithium for a 2017 RT. $219 out the door from batteries plus.
A size 14 for a 2016 GS. $72 from Amazon.

IIRC, your RS takes a 14. Measure the height and look to see if there is a styrofoam block under the battery. Order by dimensions and watch height on the 14's.

If I had it to do over, I'd order 3 Yuasa batteries at about $90 each and just order online.

On the RS forum people have been using this Yuasa.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000N5S...olid=3HTAG12ESS9U8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It's what I plan to use when I need a new battery.

BMW has gone to a physically larger battery for the RS so you'll need to remove the foam spacer in the battery tray to use this battery.
The battery ships dry and you add the acid when you put it in service.

Congrats on your new RS.

The reviews on this battery aren't confidence inspiring.

Shorai lithium battery

I replaced my OEM battery in May, shortly after I bought my 2014 RT with 14k miles. The same battery fits your RS: Shorai Lithium Battery LFX21A6-BS12 (currently $206 @ Revzilla). The box includes foam spacers which I used since it’s considerably smaller than the OEM. Been very happy with its performance and I’m sure the lighter weight has contributed to an improved riding experience, even if I can’t sense it. :) Although the manufacturer claims it only needs tending once or twice a year, I invested in a compatible Shorai SHO-BMS01 charger up front, about $85 on Amazon. I haven’t used it yet, after about six months and 7000 miles. (I wait for the power to cycle on after turning the ignition on before starting.) Note that lithium batteries will require a full charge before installing. EDIT: now I remember why I bought the charger. :)

Back