• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LED replacement Speedo & Tach Lighting on '99 R1100RT

ChrisM47

I love the 1100RT, now with only 97K miles. Thanks to many on this forum for advice and guidance I've done all required maintenance over the years. Other than the Hall Effect sensor failure in a "monsoon rain" it's been the most reliable, easiest to maintain motorcycle I've ever owned. And I've had a few since 1962.

At the 72K service I made the mistake of replacing the instrument bulbs with Sylvania #73 @ 1.1 watts. They started out dim and went down from there. I think OEM bulbs are 1.7 watts.

Any info on the bulb base specs, available equivalent bulbs or a source for LED replacements would be appreciated.

Update: I found LED bulbs at this site: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...md-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/227/1063/

Not sure if the 74 bulb fits the sockets in the RT instruments so I only ordered the tailight and turn signal bulbs. Anyone know if the 74 bulbs will work?

Last edited:
I bought some a couple of years ago from superbrightleds.com. The ones I bought have been discontinued and replaced by these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...md-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/228/1072/.

If you choose to replace other indicators on the dashboard with LED, do not replace the alternator indicator bulb with LED. It must be incandescent in order for the charging circuit to work.

Thanks for confirming Rogerc60. I'm only going for brighter tach and speedo lighting, plus tail/brake and turn signals, indicator lights are fine as is.

If you're replacing turn signal bulbs with LED, they will hyper flash if you don't add load resistors in parallel with them. Or, there is a simple modification you can make to the flasher "relay" to make them flash normally. I did it on my R1150RT and am happy with the result. Chris Harris has a video illustrating the procedure.

Back