Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lotsa Tornantes & Kuhrves!

Lotsa Tornantes & Kehres!

Working my way back to Heidelberg after a week in the Dolomites. Having a few issues with pics… if I can get them worked out, I will edit this post and add them.

Check the elevations!

Last edited by Visian; 09-15-2021 at 03:08 PM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom || '19 CB500X

Finally, the Cloud figures it out!

It’s not a big motorcycle, just a groovy little motorbike… and perfect for the Dolomiti!

'67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom || '19 CB500X

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    More pics please..

That's a beautiful part of Italy. Back in the 70's my family and I lived in Varese, but around Christmas time we all skied in the Canazei area between Bolzano and Cortina.
    One of our Italian friends was a former olympic ski jumper and he turned us on that area since it wasn't as $$ as Cortina with even better skiing, according to him....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Thank you, sir, may I have another?

I am trying to talk my wife into buying a small farm in Italy… my chances are slim!

This is the view out my hotel window in Solden, Austria. I need to get more pics uploaded for sharing here….

Tomorrow is Stelvio and some other passes probably a 250-mile loop back to the hotel.

WOW! Stelvio Pass +

I commend you on your stamina; I did Stelvio 40 years ago and was worn out plus my ribs were sore from my wife encouraging me to slow down. Thanks for your update and pictures; Italy is beautiful.
    MOA#22600 Gold 1978 R100rs, White 2013 Suzuki 650 Burgman, 2012-125cc Kymco , 2013-180cc Kymco Racing King
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Quote Originally Posted by 22600 View Post
    I commend you on your stamina; I did Stelvio 40 years ago and was worn out plus my ribs were sore from my wife encouraging me to slow down. Thanks for your update and pictures; Italy is beautiful.
    You are most welcome!

Regarding speed… I intentionally bought a small bike to ship over and store for riding in Europe because 1) it was cheap and I won’t be bringing it back, 2) it gets phenomenal fuel mileage in a place where gas is nearly $8 a gallon, and 3) I wanted to reduce the chance of killing myself on a fast bike (which is why I did not ship my HP2 Enduro over here and sold it instead).

Motorcyclists over here ride gonzo… way over the top, taking chances that I never would dream of (and trust me, I have dreamt of more than a few chances in my life…. you know, safety third!)

On top of that, many of the car drivers here, especially in the mountains, have some seriously bad-ass automobiles capable of prodigious feats. I have seen so many cool Porsches, Audis and Mercedes here that never see our shores. Awesome cars… and even the little ones seem to get driven full-bore.

Yeah, I just toodle along, watch my mirrors and move right to allow faster traffic to pass.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Sounds like a great plan……all the way around.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Cool

Back in the day, even those little two stroke Fiat 500's were flying around in the mountains, sounding like angry hornets...
    Nothing has changed except for the vehicles and gas prices, although I remember that my folks went to Switzerland to get cheaper gas, smokes and chocolate.
    Anyway keep the rubber down and enjoy!!
    MOA # 108516

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Back in the day, even those little two stroke Fiat 500's were flying around in the mountains, sounding like angry hornets...
    I got passed by a goddam scooter today, riding up Stelvio from the north….

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I got passed by a goddam scooter today, riding up Stelvio from the north….

That's just funny chit right there...
    MOA # 108516

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    That's just funny chit right there...
    Not only that, on Passo Stelvio I had to stop to help three… count ‘em three… BMW riders who dropped their bikes on steep uphill switchbacks. One was on a nearly new R1250RT, he messed it up pretty bad, he was *pissed* and so was his wife!

Didn’t take many pics because it was rather hazy… this was on the way to Stelvio…

And a closer look at that sign on the barn…

Here’s a link to the Hotel Weisseespitze being advertised. Not cheap, but the Motorrad test rides were reasonably priced… up to 200km, but no reservations accepted.

Stelvio was kind of a zoo… I didn’t get there early enough because I took too many detours on the way there. I wanted to ride it from North to South, as I rode it the opposite direction the last time. Far more technical ascending from the north, lots of super-tight uphill switchbacks. I wound up cutting the second half off and heading down the hill into Sweitz and Austria, and back to the hotel. Video soon.

Ian

That Vespa with the CH sticker was the culprit, right after this pic was shot. I was distracted by the photographer… no, the scooter jock was using the Valentino Rossi foot technique… that’s my story and I am sticking to it!

I'd stick with the story too..
    MOA # 108516

Stelvio south side, into Sweitz….

… with tractors! I can pass tractors!!!

The short story is that it was hazy on the north side, and I was lazy and didn’t get out my GoPro. (Plus, I didn’t want any video of me getting passed by a Vespa!)

Also, everyone and their brother stopped at the top for a coffee and it was a complete zoo.

Also… I took too many detours on the way to Stelvio and broke my cardinal rule: get there early before everyone else does.

Found my way to München…

… and some familiar but unexpected territory.