• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lotsa Tornantes & Kuhrves!

Visian

look out!!!
Lotsa Tornantes & Kehres!

Working my way back to Heidelberg after a week in the Dolomites. Having a few issues with pics… if I can get them worked out, I will edit this post and add them.

Check the elevations! :thumb

<iframe src="https://ridewithgps.com/embeds?type=route&id=37490750&title=Ian%E2%80%99s%20Ride%20Today!&sampleGraph=true" style="width: 1px; min-width: 100%; height: 1000px; border: none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Last edited:
Finally, the Cloud figures it out!

It’s not a big motorcycle, just a groovy little motorbike… and perfect for the Dolomiti!

i-z5mXrS9-X2.jpg

More pics please..:heart

That's a beautiful part of Italy. Back in the 70's my family and I lived in Varese, but around Christmas time we all skied in the Canazei area between Bolzano and Cortina.
One of our Italian friends was a former olympic ski jumper and he turned us on that area since it wasn't as $$ as Cortina with even better skiing, according to him....

Thank you, sir, may I have another?

I am trying to talk my wife into buying a small farm in Italy… my chances are slim! :ha

This is the view out my hotel window in Solden, Austria. I need to get more pics uploaded for sharing here….

Tomorrow is Stelvio and some other passes probably a 250-mile loop back to the hotel.

i-P5whhJP-X2.jpg

WOW! Stelvio Pass +

I commend you on your stamina; I did Stelvio 40 years ago and was worn out plus my ribs were sore from my wife encouraging me to slow down. Thanks for your update and pictures; Italy is beautiful.

I commend you on your stamina; I did Stelvio 40 years ago and was worn out plus my ribs were sore from my wife encouraging me to slow down. Thanks for your update and pictures; Italy is beautiful.

You are most welcome!

Regarding speed… I intentionally bought a small bike to ship over and store for riding in Europe because 1) it was cheap and I won’t be bringing it back, 2) it gets phenomenal fuel mileage in a place where gas is nearly $8 a gallon, and 3) I wanted to reduce the chance of killing myself on a fast bike (which is why I did not ship my HP2 Enduro over here and sold it instead).

Motorcyclists over here ride gonzo… way over the top, taking chances that I never would dream of (and trust me, I have dreamt of more than a few chances in my life…. you know, safety third!)

On top of that, many of the car drivers here, especially in the mountains, have some seriously bad-ass automobiles capable of prodigious feats. I have seen so many cool Porsches, Audis and Mercedes here that never see our shores. Awesome cars… and even the little ones seem to get driven full-bore.

Yeah, I just toodle along, watch my mirrors and move right to allow faster traffic to pass. :whistle

Back in the day, even those little two stroke Fiat 500's were flying around in the mountains, sounding like angry hornets...:laugh
Nothing has changed except for the vehicles and gas prices, although I remember that my folks went to Switzerland to get cheaper gas, smokes and chocolate.
Anyway keep the rubber down and enjoy!!:clap

That's just funny chit right there...:rofl:ha

Not only that, on Passo Stelvio I had to stop to help three… count ‘em three… BMW riders who dropped their bikes on steep uphill switchbacks. One was on a nearly new R1250RT, he messed it up pretty bad, he was *pissed* and so was his wife! :uhoh

Didn’t take many pics because it was rather hazy… this was on the way to Stelvio…

i-MGZdH2D-X2.jpg

And a closer look at that sign on the barn…

i-ZnLLjnJ-X2.jpg

Here’s a link to the Hotel Weisseespitze being advertised. Not cheap, but the Motorrad test rides were reasonably priced… up to 200km, but no reservations accepted.

Stelvio was kind of a zoo… I didn’t get there early enough because I took too many detours on the way there. I wanted to ride it from North to South, as I rode it the opposite direction the last time. Far more technical ascending from the north, lots of super-tight uphill switchbacks. I wound up cutting the second half off and heading down the hill into Sweitz and Austria, and back to the hotel. Video soon.

Ian

That Vespa with the CH sticker was the culprit, right after this pic was shot. I was distracted by the photographer… no, the scooter jock was using the Valentino Rossi foot technique… that’s my story and I am sticking to it! :ha

i-j6zJ5rD-X2.jpg

Stelvio south side, into Sweitz….

… with tractors! I can pass tractors!!! :clap

The short story is that it was hazy on the north side, and I was lazy and didn’t get out my GoPro. (Plus, I didn’t want any video of me getting passed by a Vespa!)

Also, everyone and their brother stopped at the top for a coffee and it was a complete zoo.

Also… I took too many detours on the way to Stelvio and broke my cardinal rule: get there early before everyone else does.

Cool Vid!:clap Must have been tractor day...:ha

Oh, no way. The last time I was here there were literally *thousands* of tractors at the top. This must be a Stelvio thing…

This video is from 2018, at the pass, when I rode from south to north. Since I am a fan of vintage tractors, I have tons of photos, too, but not on-line.

As I rode down the mountain to the north, there was an endless line of tractors driving up, with motos flying everywhere to pass them. It was truly insanity…

Back