• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 R1250 GSA _ Spark Plugs

Old Rider - OK Mechanic
Does anyone know if I can substitute the plug used in the R1200 NGK LMAR80-J, for the one in the R1250 NGK LZMAR8AI-10 ? The latter is supposed to last twice as long 100,000 kms as the plug for the R1200 50,000 kms, but I have seen enough wear, in the 1250 plugs, to require re-gaping after as little as 20,000 kms. And they cost twice as much.

Is the R1200 plug numbered LMAR8D-J as in "8D" and not "80"? I can't answer your question but just want to make sure we're talking the right plug.

From NGK.com:

LZMAR8AI-10

Thread Diameter: 10mm
Thread Pitch: 1.0mm
Seat Type! Gasket
Reach: 26.5mm (1.04")
Hex Size: 9/16" (14mm)
Terminal Type: Solid
Gap: .039" (1.0mm)
Center Electrode Material: Iridium
Type: Fine Wire
Size: 0.6mm
Projection: Extended Projection
Ground Electrode Material: Platinum
Type: Standard
Quantity: 1

Specifications
Resistor: Yes
Resistor Value: 5k Ohm
Heat Range: 8

Torque Specs
Cast Iron: 7.2-10.8 lb. ft. Aluminum: 7.2-8.7 lb. ft.

Part Information
Brand: NGK/NTK
Warranty: 60 Days
Longevity: 100k Miles
———————————

LMAR8D-J

Seat Type: Gasket
Overall Height

Gap: .031" (0.8mm)
Center Electrode Material: Nickel
Size: 2.5mm
Projection: Projected
Ground Electrode Material: Nickel
Type: Multi-Ground
Quantity: 2

Specifications
Torque Specs: Cast Iron: 7.2-10.8 lb. ft. Aluminum: 7.2-8.7 lb. ft.

Part Information
Longevity: 50k Miles

The two plugs are priced within $1.00 of each other from NGK.com. Same reach, thread, heat range, etc. but they list the OEM 1250 plug as “Extended Projection”, fwiw. The 1200 plug is multi-electrode and the two plugs carry different gapping from the mfg.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
There is some interesting reading by Wes Fleming in the latest owners news on this subject of using alternate plugs.

From NGK.com:

LZMAR8AI-10

Seat Type! Gasket
Gap: .039" (1.0mm)
Center Electrode Material: Iridium
Type: Fine Wire
Size: 0.6mm
Projection: Extended Projection
Ground Electrode Material: Platinum
Quantity: 1

Specifications

Torque Specs
Cast Iron: 7.2-10.8 lb. ft. Aluminum: 7.2-8.7 lb. ft.

Part Information
Longevity: 100k Miles

Best,
DeVern

Thank you for the info! Installing new LMAR8AI-10 spark plugs today. 2019 R1250RT 12K mile service.

Last edited:
The plug specified for the R1250s is the NGK LMAR8AI-10, not NGK LZMAR8AI-10. I have no clue what the "Z" following the "L" means. Beemerboneyard.com now sells the NGK LMAR8AI-10 for $36.95 a pair. Unless someone can tell me what the Z designation means, I'll stick with the LMAR8AI-10.

"Z" with NGK means "extended gap". This may indicate the 0.039" gap instead of the 0.031", but I'm not sure...
The required gap typically depends on the ignition system of the engine, so select whichever BMW recommends.

From Tech Support at NGK.com:

“Hello,

The letter "Z" stands for Extended Projection which is refering to the center electrode:”
013611F0-D376-4441-8545-1ECE75C7ACDD.png

Best,
DeVern

Back