• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Clutch Slave Installation Question

arbezc

Greetings,
I've installed a new slave cylinder in a 2001 R1100S after completing a spline lube & friction disk upgrade. Bleeding the clutch has been very difficult, I've gone through a full litre of fluid. I'm using a standard bleeder screw in the discharge line & following the usual steps.

Finally there no bubbles showing but the clutch still feels soft. Also, I'm not able to move friction disk through the started hole with the clutch lever pulled as I could with the old setup. I'm concerned that the clutch will drag.

Is this typical? Is there a better way to bleed a dry slave cylinder?

Any ideas are appreciated,
Thanks, Charles

Thanks Shawn,
In the past conventional bleeding worked fine. A vacuum setup may be the answer with so much air in the system. I'll give one a try if the clutch in fact drags.

I replaced the slave cylinder on my '04 RT (slight leaking at 110k miles).

It was also tough to bleed so I engaged the lever and tied it with a rubber band to the handlebar and let it sit over-nite. In the morning, one huge air bubble came through the line and then it sealed right up.

Thanks RPG,
I've tried that once. Did the air come out through the reservoir or through the bleeder port? I'll give it another shot.

Thanks RPG,
I've tried that once. Did the air come out through the reservoir or through the bleeder port? I'll give it another shot.

Mine came out through the bleeder port/nipple. One other trick I failed to mention is to leave the bleeder port line dangling over-nite. It normally is mounted up along the frame rail, and is higher than the slave cylinder.

I left it hanging over-nite so it would be the lowest point.

After bleeding, you'll want to mount it on the frame rail, of course. :)

RPG

Thanks RPG,
I left the clutch lever tied for a day & the clutch action feels better. The rear wheel turns freely with the clutch in. early on I had the bleed port hanging by omission. I've also picked up a vacuum bleeder just in case.
Charles

Whenever dealing with empty clutch or new brake lines the job is much easier if the fluid is pushed up from the bottom.
Air bubbles rise up much easier than trying to push down.

This works flawlessly

Attachments

• MIqxTqa.jpg
    MIqxTqa.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 110
I too have had success after replacing the clutch line and slave cylinder to do what I like to call a "reverse bleed" and push new fluid and air back up north towards the master cylinder on the handlebars.

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions.

GSAddict, is that a check valve in the tubing attached to the syringe?

Back