• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1977 r100/7

gus6323

Hi I am a new member, I spent almost a year rebuilding a 1977R100/7. It was a great project and I had good time. I have a flat spot when accerlating, so I rebuilt the carb three times. I now think its electrical, not my strong suit. Does anyone know where I can get some help in Santa Cruz Ca. or anywhere close.

Welcome to the forum! I wouldn't give up on fuel related issues...I'm not sure how electrical might create a flat spot. Seems like the spark/timing is either there or it is not. Is the ignition system stock?

What sort of steps have you taken to synch the carbs? And what are your carb jets and settings...are they per the Bing manual? I might try raising the jet needles one slot.

Here's a link to a somewhat dated list of independent shops:

http://micapeak.com/bmw/Airhead-Shops.html

Note that Ted Porter at The Beemer Shop is 10-15 miles up the road in Scotts Valley.

Welcome to the forum! I wouldn't give up on fuel related issues...I'm not sure how electrical might create a flat spot. Seems like the spark/timing is either there or it is not. Is the ignition system stock?

What sort of steps have you taken to synch the carbs? And what are your carb jets and settings...are they per the Bing manual? I might try raising the jet needles one slot.

Here's a link to a somewhat dated list of independent shops:

http://micapeak.com/bmw/Airhead-Shops.html

Note that Ted Porter at The Beemer Shop is 10-15 miles up the road in Scotts Valley.

Hi Ted Porter is gone as is everyone who will work on a bikes older than 10 years. I spent over $5000 on parts and machining. I will be calling gray dog moto in Alameda on monday . thank you so much for your help. Jim

Jim -

I wasn't aware that Ted was not longer a part of the shop. His name is still all over things on the web. Let us know how things go at Grey Dog Moto.

Hi I am a new member, I spent almost a year rebuilding a 1977R100/7. It was a great project and I had good time. I have a flat spot when accerlating, so I rebuilt the carb three times. I now think its electrical, not my strong suit. Does anyone know where I can get some help in Santa Cruz Ca. or anywhere close.

Rebuilt 3 times.... Have you verified that the diaphragms are intact and installed correctly? Flat spot around the 4k rpm area is often a bad diaphragm.

Back