• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 RT and navigation

Ragman2

I have seen the post on this thread concerning 2021 RT navigation but my question may be a little different. I am old and not really into the tech stuff. I have an iPhone, BMW NAV VI and a Sena 30k on a 2018 RT. If I connect my iPhone to Sena, it works great. If I connect my NAV VI to Sena, it drops my iPhone and vis versa. Am I missing something in the setup?

There are several pairing methods to connect a phone, a GPS, and the Sena. You need to look over the manual to see the various pairing methods and see which combination will give you acceptable results.

One common arrangement is to pair the GPS to the Sena as a "phone" (or A2DP profile - think stereo) and then pair the actual phone to the GPS. Phone > NAV > Sena.
That allows the GPS to store and play music, or pass through music from the phone. The GPS can display and use your phone contacts to make and answer calls. The GPS serves as central control, using the touch screen to manage music and calls.

Another arrangement is to pair the phone to the Sena as a phone and pair the GPS to the Sena as a GPS(Hands Free Pprofile- mono). Phone > Sena < GPS.
That can be a better arrangement if you rely on voice commands to control the phone, or if you ride without the GPS, but still want the phone-Sena connection.

I think the Sena 30K allows two "phone" connections, but the pairing steps are different - see the manual for "Selective Pairing". You are probably using the same method to pair each device, and the newest one is overridng the previous pairing.

It's generally best to do your pairing in area with no other active Bluetooth devices, clear any old pairings on the Sena and GPS, and then power on only the two devices being paired. So, GPS and Sena on for their pairing with the phone turned off (or at least Bluetooth off). Then, for the first arrangement, turn off the Sena while pairing the phone to the GPS.

The manuals I've seen do not do a good job of explaining the implications of using one connection profile over another, so expect to do some experimenting and re-pairing. I've found it helpful to get instruction from my twelve-year-old granddaughter, who apparently was born with a gadget gene.

Last edited:
There are several pairing methods to connect a phone, a GPS, and the Sena. You need to look over the manual to see the various pairing methods and see which combination will give you acceptable results.

One common arrangement is to pair the GPS to the Sena as a "phone" (or A2DP profile - think stereo) and then pair the actual phone to the GPS. Phone > NAV > Sena.
That allows the GPS to store and play music, or pass through music from the phone. The GPS can display and use your phone contacts to make and answer calls. The GPS serves as central control, using the touch screen to manage music and calls.

Another arrangement is to pair the phone to the Sena as a phone and pair the GPS to the Sena as a GPS(Hands Free Pprofile- mono). Phone > Sena < GPS.
That can be a better arrangement if you rely on voice commands to control the phone, or if you ride without the GPS, but still want the phone-Sena connection.

I think the Sena 30K allows two "phone" connections, but the pairing steps are different - see the manual for "Selective Pairing". You are probably using the same method to pair each device, and the newest one is overridng the previous pairing.

It's generally best to do your pairing in area with no other active Bluetooth devices, clear any old pairings on the Sena and GPS, and then power on only the two devices being paired. So, GPS and Sena on for their pairing with the phone turned off (or at least Bluetooth off). Then, for the first arrangement, turn off the Sena while pairing the phone to the GPS.

The manuals I've seen do not do a good job of explaining the implications of using one connection profile over another, so expect to do some experimenting and re-pairing. I've found it helpful to get instruction from my twelve-year-old granddaughter, who apparently was born with a gadget gene.

Thanks for your help!!! I'm going down to the bike in a little bit and see what i can do. The Sena manual is daunting. It puts me to sleep. I like your 2nd option since I don't always use the GPS.

Thanks again!!!

Back