• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle Vibrations Damage iPhone Cameras - Apple

Interesting story, thanks for posting. Seems like vibration degrades the image captured by the camera, but doesn’t actually damage it… am I missing something?

I really don’t like the idea of exposing a non-hardened device on a bike, even if it’s in a good enclosure.

Ian

Seems like vibration degrades the image captured by the camera, but doesn’t actually damage it… am I missing something?

Ian

I read this as resulting in lasting damage possibly.

The OIS and closed-loop AF systems in iPhone are designed for durability. However, as is the case with many consumer electronics that include systems like OIS, long-term direct exposure to high-amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges may degrade the performance of these systems and lead to reduced image quality for photos and videos. It is recommended to avoid exposing your iPhone to extended high-amplitude vibrations.

Motorcycle vs iPhone?

Of course, something new to worry about…

https://apple.news/AabLsE2trQiurxnO9NHunkA

For the record, I’ve ridden about 1000 miles on the 2021 RT with my iPhone 11 Pro Max in the dedicated cockpit compartment and the camera still works as it should… in case you’re keeping score at home!

YMMV

“ A new post on Apple’s Support forum says exposing iPhones to high-amplitude vibrations, “specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines” could degrade the devices’ camera system.”

Just another reason to ride an airhead.

For my iPhone, I have a QuadLock with a vibration damper installed on my handlebars. I don’t use it much, but if my camera goes wonky, I am certain QuadLock will replace it for free and with alacrity. :rolleyes

Years ago, I bought an Apple IPOD, kept in the bike's glove box, for listening to music. When the warranty expired, so did the unit. I can easily believe that vibration could cause some Apple products to malfunction.

I'm kind of annoyed it took Apple this long to publish a KBASE article about the issue. Us thumper riders have known for almost a decade that OIS gets damaged with a lot of vibration.

Note, I've direct-mounted my iPhone to BMW Twins (F & R bikes) for years and have never had a failure. Direct mounted an iPhone X to a 500CC Beta Thumper for 8 hours and the camera was dead.

I now use a doo-hickey called a "buzz kill" on my Hondo Garage perfect squeeze for dirt bikes but I still direct mount to my GS.

https://tacomoto.co/products/hondo-garage-buzzkill-phone-isolation-block

This KBase post won't change how I run iPhones but it's good that it'll get some mass attention for those who are considering it.

Interesting……

If you accidentally move a camera when you take a picture, the resulting image can be blurry. To prevent this, some iPhone models have optical image stabilization (OIS).1 OIS lets you take sharp photos even if you accidentally move the camera. With OIS, a gyroscope senses that the camera moved. To reduce image motion, and the resulting blur, the lens moves according to the angle of the gyroscope.

Additionally, some iPhone models have closed-loop autofocus (AF).2 Closed-loop AF resists the effects of gravity and vibration to preserve sharp focus in stills, videos, and panoramas. With closed-loop AF, on-board magnetic sensors measure gravity and vibration effects and determine the lens position so that the compensating motion can be set accurately.

The OIS and closed-loop AF systems in iPhone are designed for durability. However, as is the case with many consumer electronics that include systems like OIS, long-term direct exposure to high-amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges may degrade the performance of these systems and lead to reduced image quality for photos and videos. It is recommended to avoid exposing your iPhone to extended high-amplitude vibrations.

It would never occur to mount an iPhone (cell phone with modern camera) to a device that had an accelerometer or gyroscope built in…….at least a “consumer” device, to something with high speed vibration. I read about it and hear about it but the “blurred” images in the mirrors would be my tip off that it could quite possibly be more than the device could put up with.
I’m not really sure that running a lot of electronics in the amazingly screwed up traffic around here would be something I could tend to anyway.
OM

It's not "new" that vibration and heat are the primary killers of anything electronic, and as devices become miniaturized - as in, you need a microscope just to see a part - they become more fragile.
What's "new" is the rider who never realized, or got told, this.
"Whaddaya mean, I can't drop-kick my phone into the ocean/quarry/volcano?"

Big discussion on ADVrider about this topic as well. In most cases, a vibration damper like Adam mentioned, seems to be one solution that works well.
In my case I have, so far, not seen any issues with my I-phone... But YMMV

I think the bike makes a difference. While not the same, my V1 radar detector survived a couple of hundred thousand miles on my K75 and R1150R bikes, but died after about 10K on mu G310/ I sent it in to Valentine and they fixed it but told me it was vibration that damaged it. Then it killed it again. It is now out of service sitting on a shelf.

Garmin vibes

My “ancient” Nuvi 1450 shares dockage between my Oilhead RT & my ‘78 Yammy Thumper…….nary a burp on either ‼️:D

My BMW Airflow jacket has a nice inside, shielded chest pocket that accomodates an iPhone SE nicely.

Transmits phone calls via Bluetooth to NAV, which hard wires to radio which Bluetooths to BMW Communicator in helmet.

Music for me is Sirius. Rest is non issue, obviously.

Back