• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 K1600 GTL - 50k km Service - Failed Ignition Coil - Replace All or One?

jsykora

Here's a dilemma I need some educated feedback on, mostly as I've never owned a bike into it's middle age years, but I absolutely love riding the K1600 GTL (which I bought used last spring) and want to maintain it in highway touring condition.

It's currently at the dealer, High Road BMW in Vancouver, for 50,000km service, and it turns out the check engine warning light which was coming on intermittently for the past few week related to a failing/failed ignition coil in one cylinder.

The debate I'm having (internal to my brain at this point) is whether it's prudent to replace all six coils at this time, or to wait for the 60,000km service? Some cost factors include it is three hours of labour ($150 Cdn per hour) to access the valve heads, whether for one or all six, and of course this needs to be done anyway for the 60k service, plus it's about $400 for each ignition coil installed. Also wondering the likelihood of having more check engine warning as the some of the other five fail over the next 10,000 km, and possibly cause a debilitated bike on a trip.

Any one else have a similar dilemma they could share some learned decision making logic from?

The technician won't get to it until Tuesday, so I have a few days to decide.

Cheers, in advance.

JS
North Vancouver, BC

In the end, I suppose it all depends on how deep your pockets are. Me, at that price I'd just change out the bad one and hope for the best. Of course, if you don't mind the expense, replace all six while they are in there.

My only similar dilemma was recently on my BMW X3 cage -- one coil was throwing a code and the shop asked me to decide whether to replace just that one for $300, or all six for $900. I decided I really didn't want to have to worry about it, so replaced all.

A few weeks later, my (older) BMW 325i cage threw a code for an ignition coil. I bought a set of 6 car-specific no-name coils on Amazon and easily replaced them myself for around $100. I seriously doubt the no-name coils will last nearly as long as the BMW-approved coils, but the car runs well now.

I'm not sure I'd do that on a bike. But the bottom line is...I didn't want to have to worry about it...so for me, replacing all made the most sense. With a 60k service coming up, that's a tough call. But I still like fewer things to wonder about.

Last edited:
i would replace the one coil and not think twice about it. I question it it can wait for the 60K service? What if it fails completely?

Replace it now, do the 60K service at the same time. It is early, but not like the motorcycle knows the difference.

Just getting the coils off the plugs, even with the "right" tool, can be a real bear.

Once chipped a good shop will ask you if you want to replace it.

I began pulling them off our past '08 K1200GT with a pair of water pump pliers, then dipping them in black liquid tape.

Of course the shop when they saw one of my "custom" coils just had to laugh.

Yet, no codes, no problem.

I traded in the bike with 130,000 miles on her and she ran like a scalded dog!

As to the question...

I'd replace the bad one and ride on.

If you have the shop do it, and can afford it, then do them all...butt save the good ones and sell them on ebay.

There are lots of folks who would only replace one at a time...like me.

Now when it comes to the X3 M Competition...

Hmmmm, a lot of good feedback here, which I appreciate.

I do realize there is no right answer, and especially no way to know probability of failure, so I’m leaning to replace them all now, because (a) at age 50+ I value the certainty of knowing eliminating a possible failure or issue on a long trip; and (b) I’m going to spend the $ to replace them anyway at the 60k service, so I can bite the bullet now, and the benefit of spending the money a year early is the confidence knowing I don’t have to worry about it.

I also think there’s potentially money to be saved either using an independent mechanic or doing it myself (but I’m not mechanically confident beyond the basics of these machines), or even using alternative (Chinese) OEM parts. But I can’t say I’m inclined to use off-spec parts, as I guess I prefer the confidence that I’m covered for another 50k kms by using the best parts available for the bike.

Hmmmm, a lot of good feedback here, which I appreciate.
<SNIP>
I also think there’s potentially money to be saved either using an independent mechanic or doing it myself (but I’m not mechanically confident beyond the basics of these machines), or even using alternative (Chinese) OEM parts. But I can’t say I’m inclined to use off-spec parts, as I guess I prefer the confidence that I’m covered for another 50k kms by using the best parts available for the bike.

I wouldn’t worry about aftermarket coils. The OEM coils may already be made in China anyway, as BMW probably sources from a low cost vendor. Regardless, I wouldn’t rate the OEM coils the best quality, since yours only lasted 30k miles. A coil is basically just a transformer and theoretically should last forever. There are no moving parts.

Good luck with the repair.

I’m going to spend the $ to replace them anyway at the 60k service, so I can bite the bullet now, and the benefit of spending the money a year early is the confidence knowing I don’t have to worry about it.

Check the valves and change the plugs at the same time so you don't have that big labor charge again at 60,000 miles.

Check the valves and change the plugs at the same time so you don't have that big labor charge again at 60,000 miles.

Yep, this is the optimal answer right here, turn the 50k service into the 60k service. Pay a bit more for this service, but then next year will just be the basic routine service.

Last edited:
Seriously...

Yep, this is the optimal answer right here, turn the 50k service into the 60k service. Pay a bit more for this service, but then next year will just be the basic routine service.

If you replace all six coils, do ask for the good five. They are yours unless they are being replaced under warranty, ask for them.

Help out your friends who only need one or two.

if you replace them all, you get a warranty for 2 years (I think) if any of them fail, you can get them replaced on their dime. The BMW coils here run about $225 USD, I would ask about the pricing difference. I myself replaced a single coil about a year ago that was throwing a check engine light and have not had any issues since. But, I did it myself while I was doing the valve check, so its on me if anything fails again. Like several have said, if you have the cash, I would say get them all done and save yourself some grief, as these coils send to randomly give up the ghost whether they are new or several years old.

if you replace them all, you get a warranty for 2 years (I think) if any of them fail, you can get them replaced on their dime. .

In the US it used to be if the dealer installed the new part the part and labor was covered for two years.
If you installed the part the part is still covered for two years but not the labor to replace it.
I don't know if this is still the policy. I would ask the dealer.

if you replace them all, you get a warranty for 2 years (I think) if any of them fail, you can get them replaced on their dime. The BMW coils here run about $225 USD, I would ask about the pricing difference. I myself replaced a single coil about a year ago that was throwing a check engine light and have not had any issues since. But, I did it myself while I was doing the valve check, so its on me if anything fails again. Like several have said, if you have the cash, I would say get them all done and save yourself some grief, as these coils send to randomly give up the ghost whether they are new or several years old.

In the US it used to be if the dealer installed the new part the part and labor was covered for two years.
If you installed the part the part is still covered for two years but not the labor to replace it.
I don't know if this is still the policy. I would ask the dealer.

Both good points. I've now instructed the dealer to replace all six coils (once the parts arrive, hopefully this week), which was also their recommendation, as there's labour savings once they've open up access. The two-year warranty for installed parts is certainly an added benefit.

I can't say with confidence this is the best way to go, but I plan to ride it for a few more years, so I'd likely need to replace more coils at some point. I look it this decision as a proactive preventative maintenance measure, at which a younger me would scoff, but the current me appreciates a well maintained, trouble-free ride.

Jim

Since you don't need them, can I get you to send me the 5 coils that aren't bad? I'll gladly pay shipping to Virginia.

Duane

Back