• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Charging Light Bulb

Bulbs

So, it is funny sometimes how the little difference in a bulbs resistance or wattage can cause problems. While I haven't had charging issues with the old bulbs in my bike or the new Katdash system, I have had the joy of trying to switch to LED turn signal bulb replacements only to drive the "burned out bulb" rapid flash set up crazy in my BMW flasher unit.

Sometimes too much is too much and too little is too little. St.

Yes I have seen the Katdash but you can't use a LED as a replacement for the charging light as it too small a bulb.

Thanks!

I was in my local shipping store in NH today and asked if the crazy price for shipping was realistic. They said it was. Too bad, I could have shipped you the bulbs since I live near MAX.

On the other hand, I recently bought a set of $15 ear plugs from a company in Germany and they shipped them for $4.95. So, I went to the Motobins site which is based in the UK. I picked a random instrument light bulb and priced shipping to Canada. It was about 3.30 GBP. You may want to try and source bulbs in Europe or the UK.

BTW, the Katdash isn't a single bulb setup, it replaces the whole circuit board and includes a resistor so that losing the charging bulb doesn't inactivate the alternator.

Good luck

... BTW, the Katdash isn't a single bulb setup, it replaces the whole circuit board and includes a resistor so that losing the charging bulb doesn't inactivate the alternator...

Alas, the Katdash board mentioned above is not available for the R100GS of the OP. Her website specifically mentions the need to retain the incandescent bulb if using her instrument lighting system for the 91 - 95 GS.

http://katdash.com/1991-95-gs-r/

OM -

The important thing is the current that it can carry. Current through this bulb is what energizes the rotor in the alternator. If not enough, maybe the alternator doesn't "bootstrap" itself.
Correct, and it CANNOT be an LED bulb. It must be an incandescent bulb. It must have some resistance (ohms) or the charging system will not work.

edit: Actually, you can use an LED, but you must add an inline (parallel) resistor. Euromoto makes a little pre-wired resistor kit for this very purpose: https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/boalt-reswire.htm

Back