• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Charging Light Bulb

Darryl Cainey

Sir Darby
Does anybody have a source to purchase a aftermarket charging light bulb for a 1993 R100GS?

BMW in Canada says they are no longer available.

BMW USA shows still being available.

Max BMW has them but the shipping cost is $62.85 for $18.82 worth of parts, a bit excessive don't you think for 2 bulbs?

Snowbum has an article on lamps:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/lamps.htm

About 2/3 down under "Smaller Lamps" he mentions replacements for the gen lamp bulb. He provides a part number 07-11-9-978-372 but that shows up on BMW car fiches...but it looks to the visually correct item. He does offer other suggestions.

Also on his website is the resistor mod which bypasses a burned out instrument pod bulb.

That shipping sounds crazy. I used to ship things to my kids in Canada for much less (still pricy, but more like $20)

Have you looked into a Katdash? If they make one for your bike its a significant improvement and replaces all the bulbs with LEDs

That shipping sounds crazy. I used to ship things to my kids in Canada for much less (still pricy, but more like $20)

Have you looked into a Katdash? If they make one for your bike its a significant improvement and replaces all the bulbs with LEDs

Yes I have seen the Katdash but you can't use a LED as a replacement for the charging light as it too small a bulb.

Thanks!

Snowbum has an article on lamps:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/lamps.htm

About 2/3 down under "Smaller Lamps" he mentions replacements for the gen lamp bulb. He provides a part number 07-11-9-978-372 but that shows up on BMW car fiches...but it looks to the visually correct item. He does offer other suggestions.

Also on his website is the resistor mod which bypasses a burned out instrument pod bulb.

Snowbum gives some good alternatives to that bulb other that BMW, now just to find them!

Thanks!

The bulbs needed for the charging socket are what's called glass wedge base...no metal at the bottom, but the electrical leads are folded up on the glass and the bulb is wedged into a female socket on the board.

OM -

The important thing is the current that it can carry. Current through this bulb is what energizes the rotor in the alternator. If not enough, maybe the alternator doesn't "bootstrap" itself.

OM -

The important thing is the current that it can carry. Current through this bulb is what energizes the rotor in the alternator. If not enough, maybe the alternator doesn't "bootstrap" itself.

I did a further look and any difference aside- looks like they are available most anywhere. Search was w3w bulb.

From a "technical" standpoint, the differences are rather small, their effect amps/volts. On an older charging system, I think there would need to be some variations due to complete system age.....Just an (academic) thought.
OM

If you decide to go with the BMW bulbs do you have somewhere in Buffalo you can send them to and pick them up?

(Oh crap, COVID borders are closed!)

OM -

What does "bootstrap" mean? It's not a Canadian term!

An electrical bootstrap is actually a form of feedback, where a small portion of a circuit's output is directed back to the input, usually thru a limiting device.

An electrical bootstrap is actually a form of feedback, where a small portion of a circuit's output is directed back to the input, usually thru a limiting device.

OK, maybe I should have used the term "jumpstart"! :whistle

Back