• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank slapper, death wobble, shake. Anyone?

My R1100S doesn't give a hint of instability at any speed I've been up to which at this point is 185 mph.
You're lucky you stopped accelerating at 185. The R1100S problem doesn't start until about 220 mph and is quite apparent by 240. I understand that further throttle will power thru the wobble.

So you folks are saying my R1100RS will do 260 mph? I find that hard to believe and certainly not going to try and find out!šŸ¤£

I have experienced two hard core tank slaps in the past on my F700 GS when riding on a gravel road in Montana that suddenly went from gravel to deep sand. Both times running around 50 mph and didn't see the sand patches come up until into them due to dust in the air. Controlled it by clutching and un-clutching but not braking. Sort of like abs but not as fast, and moving weight rearward. First time caught me completely by surprise and should have gone down, at least that's what the truck behind me thought as he quickly slowed down. Second time I was somewhat ready for it and worked on my technique to figure what I actually did to work through it.

So you folks are saying my R1100RS will do 260 mph? I find that hard to believe and certainly not going to try and find out!��

How do you expect to find out unless you try it.:bolt

See what RPM the motor is running at in high gear at 65mph. All you have to do is spin the motor 4 times that RPM in high gear to attain 260mph.:hide

:dance:dance:dance

This 1970s Dunlop tyre test video shows situations of wobble and weave. The high speed weave looks pretty bad and they cure it by lying down on the tank.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z3OQTU-kE2s" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Those test riders had HUGE guts! I've never experienced this on my motorcycles but have on my road bicycles. (Pretty scary on a 45 mph descent while practically naked.)

Those test riders had HUGE guts! I've never experienced this on my motorcycles but have on my road bicycles. (Pretty scary on a 45 mph descent while practically naked.)

Hmm, guess it's a different technique on solid surface than sand. I took my weight backward to try and lighten the front wheel more, that I can remember. Wouldn't have thought to lay forward onto the tank.

I've never experienced this on my motorcycles but have on my road bicycles. (Pretty scary on a 45 mph descent while practically naked.)

It also happened to me on a road bicycle at the same speed.
My first thought was "This is really going to hurt"

I've had no problems on my Campagnolo at 185.

Ok, ok, it was km/h. :D

My 700 was a 13 year model. I noticed that later models have a steering dampner stock now. My 18 9T had a oem steering dampner too, which I changed out with an adjustable touratech damper. Not doing any back road gravel or sand forest trails anymore so don't have one on my 94 1100. Getting too old for that Kind of excitement.šŸ™

Back