• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which Tires for a 2018 R1200RT?

motor10

I'm looking for opinions for replacement tires on my 2018 R1200RT. The two tires I am deciding between are the Michlien Road 5 GTs ($175) and the Dunlop Roadsmart ($150).

Can you give me your experiences and opinions on wet and dry traction, ride, cold and hot weather traction and wear life.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

I have been running PR4GT's for two sets, love the handling and I ride all year long so wet performance is important too. This set I am about to put on are PR5GT. I think they will handle the wet even better. Not sure about mileage, as I am a cautious guy and change tires earlier than most. I get about 9 out of the 4's. I have heard good things about the Dunlops, but I have heard they are not as good in the wet, no personal experience, just passing comments from fellow riders I trust.

I like to have Roadsmart III’s on my 2016 RT. Never had a problem in the Pacific Northwet, or long and short road trips, or The Heat Dome this past summer.

I have a 2017 R1200RT and a 2019 R1250RT. I ride a fair number of miles, and have my own tire machine and an extra set of rims so that I can swap tires around. This lets me always start a long trip with good tires, without wasting the last half of the life of older tires. And a side benefit is that I can compare brands in close temporal proximity, and come to my own judgments of their characteristics without having to rely on my (unreliable) memory.

I have tried the tires you mention, and some other brands too.

My current belief is that the best tires for the RT are Bridgestone T-32 GT’s. They stick like glue. They get as good tread life as the Dunlop Roadsmart 3’s in similar riding. They provide no difference in wet traction to the PR4 GT’s in my experience with periodic heavy rains in Colorado. And they don’t feather like the Michelins usually do in my experience. They don’t square off as badly as did my lone trial of Metzler. And they cost less for a set than the others. So, for now, I choose T-32 GT as my go-to tire for the RT.

Cap

Bridgestone T-32 GT. You've peaked my interest. Thanks!

Gord

Thread hijack ... I mounted a new set of Battlax BT-46's on my R90S. They are awesome tires!
Back to tires for the RT... I did my research. I mounted a set of Roadsmart IV's on my 2019 R1250RT. AWESOME tires! Conti's, Michelins, Pirellis, etc., all are very good tires. It's splitting hairs when comparing tires. It is my opinion after much investigation and many miles on the Dunlops, in the twisties and in the rain, that the Dunlops are top of the food chain.

edit: I've run Metzlers, Contis, Michelins, and I tend to lean toward Michelins. But I am groovin' on these new Dunlops. (I run Dunlop Q3+ tires on my track bike; it would be freakin' awesome to try a set on the RT if it weren't for the limited mileage.)

Last edited:
Roadsmart IV

Road surfaces:
Rough roads, tar snakes, rain grooves, uneven pavement - road irregularities are hardly noticeable. Very smooth. It is uncanny.
Handling:
Turn in - smooth, effortless, neutral. The tires are unobtrusive.
Tracking - smooth, hold any line, change/adjust line effortlessly, confidence inspiring.
Traction - nary a hint of slipping/drifting in any corner, they just stick. Very smooth and confidence inspiring.
Wet - not a hint of floating/hydroplaning, and I'm talking torrential downpour (yes, here in Nuevo Mexico). Not a hint of slipping in the curves - at sane speeds in the rain, of course. I've ridden on tires that felt pretty greasy in the rain and hydroplaned like a boat.
Quiet:
I've had noisy tires; some howled. These are very quiet on most road surfaces. There are certain types of surfaces that are louder, but most roads these tires really are very quiet.
Smooth - I keep using that word. My tires are fairly new with only a few thousand miles on them, so they are very smooth riding. I've had tires that get worn and cupped; they will shake the fillings out of your teeth. These Dunlops are extra smooth.
Mileage:
Only a few thousand miles on the tires with zero evidence of any wear issues. They look like brand new tires, like they have not been scrubbed in (believe me, they have). It is uncanny.

Another Roadsmart III/IV Endorsement

On my second set of Roadsmart III's ... the first set lasted longer than any tire I've ever run on any of my bikes. Never gave me one second of tentative performance wet or dry. Rear tire is stiff ... hardest demount I've ever had to deal with using my NoMar changer.

Had Michelin Road 4's on my 2014 and loved em. My new 2020 R1250RT had Metzelers from birth and they needed to be replaced at 5k miles. Got really squirrely at the end. Replaced with Michelin Road V's and they've been fantastic for 4k miles so far. Great wet handling, excellent stick in the turns, and manage the track well too.

On my second set of Roadsmart III's ... the first set lasted longer than any tire I've ever run on any of my bikes. Never gave me one second of tentative performance wet or dry. Rear tire is stiff ... hardest demount I've ever had to deal with using my NoMar changer.

I too liked the Roadsmart III's and did get better tire life but as Iirider says very stiff making them difficult to install/remove. They aren't worth the trouble to me.

They are challenging to mount, but I've heard it said that all the GT tires are very stiff. It helps to put them out in the sun, let them get very warm, then lots of tire lube. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?100639-Dunlop-Roadsmart-IV-s-I-mount-them-myself

I agree with your comment but that isn't enough. As for GT, that doesn't change the stiffness of the sidewall see the load ratings. I've been told by a Michelin rep GT tire have a stiffer face to the tire.

I agree with your comment but that isn't enough.
Sometimes it's just not worth the work, ya gotta break down and take your wheels to the man with the machine. One of my amigos has a power machine (not sure which brand) that I can use if needed.
I use the Baja No Pinch for my dirt bikes and old BMW airheads: https://www.bajanopinch.com/ . Works well. It could work for the front wheel on our new RT's/GS's.
I got an Olmaxmotors tire machine: http://www.olmaxmotors.pl/ . Maybe not as good as a NoMar, but it does work and it's about half the price.

edit: nuther tire changer: https://max2h.com/en/tire-changer .

(I run Dunlop Q3+ tires on my track bike; it would be freakin' awesome to try a set on the RT if it weren't for the limited mileage.)

Craydds,

A few years back we had two flats in two days on our past 2016 R1200RS (the beautiful blue and white paint scheme).

The first flat, the front, happened just east of 29 Palms, CA and by shear luck the independent shop in 29 Palms had the same brand and size we needed in stock. Our tire, ruined by a small bolt, only had about 750 miles on it ;(

The next day about 12 miles from Yuma, we picked up a nail, a REALLY big nail, in the rear that only had 1,000 plus miles on it ;(

The Yuma Honda shop had the right brand but not the same model. We ended up with a Q3 mounted on the rear.

Just pulling out of the shop we both felt the difference. The tire was fantastic. Traction every where. Of course this was in Arizona and the weather was hot and dry.

Riding home the 385 miles or so, it was amazing how smooth and quiet the rear was.

Butt...Arizona back roads are a bit rough on motorcycle tires and by the time we got home there was already signs of a flat center.

By my calculations the Q3 would be good for maybe 2,000 miles or less.

Still, they were awesome and if money was easy to come by, they would be a really extravagant choice and fun for sure.

By my calculations the Q3 would be good for maybe 2,000 miles or less.

Still, they were awesome and if money was easy to come by, they would be a really extravagant choice and fun for sure.

Mehrten, the Q3+'s would be awesome and tons of fun. It would be a lot of extra $$$ and WORK to change tires every few thousand miles. I've contemplated getting an extra set of wheels/Q3+ tires and taking my R1250RT (!) to a track day (alas, more $$$). Since I do have a dedicated track bike, the RT will have to settle for mountain roads.

It has been stated that one cannot exceed the traction limits of these new sport-touring tires during aggressive street riding. There is a well know track school run by Ron Haslam and they run Roadsmart III's on their track bikes! I am confident in the traction of the Roadsmart IV's and expect to get many long happy miles on them.

My current belief is that the best tires for the RT are Bridgestone T-32 GT’s.

Cap

Cap, I have an amigo that also swears by the Bridgestones. (My R90S is a totally different animal, but, my research led me to choose the Battlax BT-46's; they are amazing tires.)

I have a 2017 R1200RT and a 2019 R1250RT. I ride a fair number of miles, and have my own tire machine and an extra set of rims so that I can swap tires around. This lets me always start a long trip with good tires, without wasting the last half of the life of older tires. And a side benefit is that I can compare brands in close temporal proximity, and come to my own judgments of their characteristics without having to rely on my (unreliable) memory.

I have tried the tires you mention, and some other brands too.

My current belief is that the best tires for the RT are Bridgestone T-32 GT’s. They stick like glue. They get as good tread life as the Dunlop Roadsmart 3’s in similar riding. They provide no difference in wet traction to the PR4 GT’s in my experience with periodic heavy rains in Colorado. And they don’t feather like the Michelins usually do in my experience. They don’t square off as badly as did my lone trial of Metzler. And they cost less for a set than the others. So, for now, I choose T-32 GT as my go-to tire for the RT.

Cap

Great post.

The Mich's I had cupped. I've had the best luck with Metzlers both 1 and 8's. Side note- I just put a pair of Conti Trail Attach II's on the GS and they are noisy AF.

My main thing on tires is to replace them early and don't let them get more than 3 years old.

PR4GTs on my 2014 LC

I’m getting close to replacing the PR4GTs that were on my 2014 when I bought it a few months ago with 14k miles in California. The BMW shop there (Ozzies) checked them out ahead of riding the bike home here in Maryland in July, noting that while they were a bit out of manufacture date (2018?), they were good for the crossing. I had no noticeable issues with the 3000 mile ride (on US 50), and they seem to be performing well since arriving as my odo just turned 20k miles last week. My local shop, Bobs BMW, did note moderate cupping on their MD registration inspection. My typical pressures are 38/40 front/rear. I don’t have anything to compare them to, but I would be happy if my next set rides as well. (I have a preference for windy country roads in MD, VA and WV.) That said, I’m looking at both the R5GTs and the RMIVs for my next tires. I’ll likely go with what my shop recommends, one my chief concerns being my appreciation for rain riding in this part of the mid-Atlantic.

Note: Just checked the date stamp: 4516. So November 2016-ish. Yikes… time to make a decision.

Note: Just checked the date stamp: 4516. So November 2016-ish. Yikes… time to make a decision.

My personal opinion, I call it my Five Year Rule:
Assuming good tread remaining and good overall condition, a 5 year old tire should be of little concern. They are designed to last 5 years. At 6 years, I am shopping for new tires, no matter how low the mileage on tires. 7 years is my personal limit; I will not run a 7 year old tire. There are a few good articles on the date/age of tires, such as: https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/do-motorcycle-tires-have-shelf-life/ .

Back