Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which Tires for a 2018 R1200RT?

Quote Originally Posted by mehrten View Post

By my calculations the Q3 would be good for maybe 2,000 miles or less.

Still, they were awesome and if money was easy to come by, they would be a really extravagant choice and fun for sure.
    Mehrten, the Q3+'s would be awesome and tons of fun. It would be a lot of extra $$$ and WORK to change tires every few thousand miles. I've contemplated getting an extra set of wheels/Q3+ tires and taking my R1250RT (!) to a track day (alas, more $$$). Since I do have a dedicated track bike, the RT will have to settle for mountain roads.

It has been stated that one cannot exceed the traction limits of these new sport-touring tires during aggressive street riding. There is a well know track school run by Ron Haslam and they run Roadsmart III's on their track bikes! I am confident in the traction of the Roadsmart IV's and expect to get many long happy miles on them.
    Ray
    '74 R90/6. '75 R90S. '76 R90S. 2019 R1250RT
    Too many dirt bikes to list.

Quote Originally Posted by craydds View Post
    ... but I've heard it said that all the GT tires are very stiff. It helps to put them out in the sun, let them get very warm, then lots of tire lube. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...nt-them-myself
    +1

GT rears can be a contest of will. Sometimes I take a break to think up new cuss words. But so far, I always win.

Cap

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    +1

GT rears can be a contest of will. Sometimes I take a break to think up new cuss words. But so far, I always win.

Cap
    That's the truth, Cap.

Lotsa blood, sweat, and beers.
    Ray

My current belief is that the best tires for the RT are Bridgestone T-32 GT’s.

Cap
    Cap, I have an amigo that also swears by the Bridgestones. (My R90S is a totally different animal, but, my research led me to choose the Battlax BT-46's; they are amazing tires.)
    Ray

I have a 2017 R1200RT and a 2019 R1250RT. I ride a fair number of miles, and have my own tire machine and an extra set of rims so that I can swap tires around. This lets me always start a long trip with good tires, without wasting the last half of the life of older tires. And a side benefit is that I can compare brands in close temporal proximity, and come to my own judgments of their characteristics without having to rely on my (unreliable) memory.

I have tried the tires you mention, and some other brands too.

My current belief is that the best tires for the RT are Bridgestone T-32 GT’s. They stick like glue. They get as good tread life as the Dunlop Roadsmart 3’s in similar riding. They provide no difference in wet traction to the PR4 GT’s in my experience with periodic heavy rains in Colorado. And they don’t feather like the Michelins usually do in my experience. They don’t square off as badly as did my lone trial of Metzler. And they cost less for a set than the others. So, for now, I choose T-32 GT as my go-to tire for the RT.

Cap
    Great post.

The Mich's I had cupped. I've had the best luck with Metzlers both 1 and 8's. Side note- I just put a pair of Conti Trail Attach II's on the GS and they are noisy AF.

My main thing on tires is to replace them early and don't let them get more than 3 years old.

PR4GTs on my 2014 LC

I’m getting close to replacing the PR4GTs that were on my 2014 when I bought it a few months ago with 14k miles in California. The BMW shop there (Ozzies) checked them out ahead of riding the bike home here in Maryland in July, noting that while they were a bit out of manufacture date (2018?), they were good for the crossing. I had no noticeable issues with the 3000 mile ride (on US 50), and they seem to be performing well since arriving as my odo just turned 20k miles last week. My local shop, Bobs BMW, did note moderate cupping on their MD registration inspection. My typical pressures are 38/40 front/rear. I don’t have anything to compare them to, but I would be happy if my next set rides as well. (I have a preference for windy country roads in MD, VA and WV.) That said, I’m looking at both the R5GTs and the RMIVs for my next tires. I’ll likely go with what my shop recommends, one my chief concerns being my appreciation for rain riding in this part of the mid-Atlantic.

Note: Just checked the date stamp: 4516. So November 2016-ish. Yikes… time to make a decision.
    Michael
    2014 R1200RT LC

Quote Originally Posted by Moretti View Post

Note: Just checked the date stamp: 4516. So November 2016-ish. Yikes… time to make a decision.
    My personal opinion, I call it my Five Year Rule:
    Assuming good tread remaining and good overall condition, a 5 year old tire should be of little concern. They are designed to last 5 years. At 6 years, I am shopping for new tires, no matter how low the mileage on tires. 7 years is my personal limit; I will not run a 7 year old tire. There are a few good articles on the date/age of tires, such as: https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/d...ve-shelf-life/ .
    Ray

Another vote for the Roadsmarts.
    Started using the IIIs at 6,000 miles, as a replacement for the OEM Metzelers that were already toast. Got about 9,000 miles per set of RS III and always felt comfortable, dry or wet (I do slow down).
    Now trying the IVs which feel even smoother with quicker turn in.

I chose. And I hope I chose wisely

I chose the Michelins after consultation with the the dealership. I was also advised that Michelin advises to run the tires at a little higher poundage to prevent cupping. The cupping has something to do with the BMW RTs suspension. Lets see how they last. So far they ride well and seem to have good grip. Haven't used them in the rain yet, so hope they live up to the reputation as a good wet weather tire.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by motor10 View Post
    I chose the Michelins after consultation with the the dealership.
    Excellent choice. I ran a pair of Road 5's on my Aprilia; great tires. I think one simply cannot go wrong with any of these new sport-touring/GT tires.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by craydds View Post
    Excellent choice. I ran a pair of Road 5's on my Aprilia; great tires. I think one simply cannot go wrong with any of these new sport-touring/GT tires.
    I’m ready to move forward on the basis of this observation. Thank you.
    Michael
    2014 R1200RT LC

Conti RA3 and not looking back to Michelin

I’ve never wanted to toss my 2 cents into a tire thread…until now. Just about all of have made our choices based on a manufacturer’s’ claims, the subjective assessment of riders whom we think ride like we do, and—key—the look of a tire’s tread when new. Well, at least that was me. But I’d always been impressed with the Michelin PR4GTs—rode them exclusively on my 2004 1150RT and 2016 1200RT, 110,000 miles of touring and sport riding throughout the western states in heat, cold, rain and slush. Loved the siping and “assurance” that I had plenty of traction. Pressure 38/42, or around more. Love always turned to annoyance somewhere around 6,000 miles, when front cupping lent me a nice hum when cornering, and the rear was flattening out. Still tread left, but handling suffered. Rather than toss out mileage claims, I’ll say that I change tires when their performance is clearly deteriorated, even to my old eyes. Always Michelins, though, since I adopted the M45 for my 75/7 back in 1978. Then last year I wanted new tires, at a time when the PR4GT and PR5GT were not available. My dealer recommended the Conti Road Attack 3. I got them, rode out onto the street and felt a difference in responsiveness right away—never had that experience with new Michelins. My RT was more responsive at low speeds (even twitchy, until I got used to them), and stable at high speeds. The tires’ fairly blocky tread made a slight hum at high speeds, but that went away when I stopped paying attention to it. Now the RA3s have more than 8,000 miles, no cupping, but a slight undulation along the outside of the treads that I only found by really looking for it. I’ve wondered about the dearth of siping, but so far haven’t hydroplaned. So, my 2 cents…I’ll get the Contis again, but not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by brucepatt View Post
    I’ve never wanted to toss my 2 cents into a tire thread…until now. Just about all of have made our choices based on a manufacturer’s’ claims, the subjective assessment of riders whom we think ride like we do, and—key—the look of a tire’s tread when new. Well, at least that was me. But I’d always been impressed with the Michelin PR4GTs—rode them exclusively on my 2004 1150RT and 2016 1200RT, 110,000 miles of touring and sport riding throughout the western states in heat, cold, rain and slush. Loved the siping and “assurance” that I had plenty of traction. Pressure 38/42, or around more. Love always turned to annoyance somewhere around 6,000 miles, when front cupping lent me a nice hum when cornering, and the rear was flattening out. Still tread left, but handling suffered. Rather than toss out mileage claims, I’ll say that I change tires when their performance is clearly deteriorated, even to my old eyes. Always Michelins, though, since I adopted the M45 for my 75/7 back in 1978. Then last year I wanted new tires, at a time when the PR4GT and PR5GT were not available. My dealer recommended the Conti Road Attack 3. I got them, rode out onto the street and felt a difference in responsiveness right away—never had that experience with new Michelins. My RT was more responsive at low speeds (even twitchy, until I got used to them), and stable at high speeds. The tires’ fairly blocky tread made a slight hum at high speeds, but that went away when I stopped paying attention to it. Now the RA3s have more than 8,000 miles, no cupping, but a slight undulation along the outside of the treads that I only found by really looking for it. I’ve wondered about the dearth of siping, but so far haven’t hydroplaned. So, my 2 cents…I’ll get the Contis again, but not yet.
    Pretty much the same experience on my '16 RT. On my 2nd set of Conti road attacks now, I think about trying others, but, why? The Road Attack GT's seem as close to perfect as is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stebe View Post
    Pretty much the same experience on my '16 RT. On my 2nd set of Conti road attacks now, I think about trying others, but, why? The Road Attack GT's seem as close to perfect as is possible.
    I also had a good experience with the Conti's. I have tried the Metzler's, PR5's and the Pirelli Angel GT. All were decent but the Conti is my favorite. One quick note, the Conti did not have a valve stem paint mark? They took the normal amount of balancing weight but seemed odd.
    The Second Amendment, America's original homeland security.

Quote Originally Posted by brucepatt View Post
    …I’ll get the Contis again....
    I have not tried Conti RA3's, but I talked with several riders who like them. I would like to try them someday. Whenever I need to order some new tires, I check prices. And so far, the Conti RA3's are consistently more expensive than my baseline choice, the T-32. Usually about 50% more expensive for the set. I want great tires, but among the great tire options, I want the lowest price. And here's a not-so-secret tip: in the spring, Bridgestone often offers a special discount for a full set. I think I saved another $60 for a set of T-32's, making them about half the price of RA3's at the time.

I bought a set of extra wheels from Italy that arrived mounted with Conti RA2's that had some good tread life remaining. So, I tried them out for about 2000 miles. And they were fine tires. But not so awesome that I decided to pay the premium for RA3's.

Cap