• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

‘01 R1100R - Idling issue after Hall Sensor rewiring & AF-XIED install

eleven

2001 R1100R with 7200 miles. Recently installed a AF-XIED (AFX) due to surging issues and after install the bike was cutting off and at times wouldn’t crank. Realized, after some help, the hall sensor was shot and during AFX install, while disconnecting the O2 sensor, I disturbed the hall sensor wiring which led to my issues.

GSaddict rewired the HS and I reinstalled. In addition, a valve clearance adjustments and TB sync was done. AFX changed the operation and drastically reduced the surging issue I had at approx 3500rpm. Currently have it at 7.

PROBLEM. Since I reinstalled the HS, with the newly installed AFX, the bike will not idle or run smooth for 1-2 minutes after startup. I have to use fast idle and also use the throttle continuously to keep rpms up, otherwise, rpms drop and the bike cuts off. After about a minute or so something magical happens and rpms level out at 3k with fast idle on. I turn off the fast idle and it runs at 1100rpms smoothly.

Runs great after this startup procedure but if I ride it for 5 mins, or for 1 hour, and turn it off and attempt a restart, the same thing happens even when the bike is warm.

Any ideas before I take this thing to a mechanic???

Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to reset the Motronic.
After reconnecting the battery, turn on the ignition and twist the throttle to full 2 times.

Yes. I removed it and also installed a new O2 sensor but problem still exist. I took the new O2 sensor back off and reinstalled the old sensor and the AFX. This tank has been removed probably five times during this process unfortunately.

Good to know. What idle speed did you set when you did the sync?

Edit: It's also possible that the air passages the big brass screws control are dirty and occluded. This would require a fresh synchronization, but it may be a good idea to remove one of the screws and check the bore for carbon buildup and dirt.

GSAddict. Is it required to also turn the start switch to the on position to activate the fuel pump prior to the 2 full throttle turns?

Good to know. What idle speed did you set when you did the sync?

Edit: It's also possible that the air passages the big brass screws control are dirty and occluded. This would require a fresh synchronization, but it may be a good idea to remove one of the screws and check the bore for carbon buildup and dirt.

Thanks. Another forum member helped me back in April with a TBS and we cleaned the BBS and the bore at that time.

Tried the Motronic reset by disconnecting the battery for 10 mins, reconnecting, turning on ignition and then two full throttle turns. Still dropping RPMs at start until “whatever” kicks in, then it’ll idle at 1100.

One thing I have noticed on my own R850R is that sometimes the Motronic takes a lot longer than 10 minutes to reset. Once I even unplugged fuse 5 for a half-hour and it still didn't reset.

You could try unhooking the battery for a couple hours, just to make sure, then repeat.

I forgot to mention that when I start the bike, the battery light on my display turns on and will turn off automatically after several seconds or it turns off when I blip the throttle, which ever occurs first. This starts the rough idle condition that lasts up to a minute or so before smoothing out. So, the battery light turning off is an indicator of some triggering event that starts this problem.

One thing I have noticed on my own R850R is that sometimes the Motronic takes a lot longer than 10 minutes to reset. Once I even unplugged fuse 5 for a half-hour and it still didn't reset.

You could try unhooking the battery for a couple hours, just to make sure, then repeat.

F5 does not always do it.
That is why I disconnect the battery negative

Back