• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2006 F650gs valve ajustment questions and advice on shim ordering.

miseenscene

Good day,

My 2006 F650gs Dakar has 22+k on it and I am currently doing all the reccomened 24K maintenance a bit ahead of schedule since I have the pandemic-induced free time.
The valves were adjusted at 12K soon after I bought the cycle. I would like to do the current adjustment myself but it is is much more involved job than that on my R850R boxer. I plan to replace the fuel filter/sender at the same time since one must remove everything on top of the cylinder to access the valves anyway.

May I ask if if this is a reasonable DIY project for a reasonably competent mechanic or should I pay the local BMW shop to tackle it? Also, would you order a several shims before disassembly or wait until you have the valves open and order only the needed shims after, knowing that it may take a while to receive them?

Thank you.

Be well, ride safely.
RK

Different bike, but my 2013 R1200R also uses shims. It's a fairly easy procedure. In my case, since I wasn't in a hurry, I measured each valve clearance and removed the shims from the valves that were out of spec. I was able to reuse a couple of the shims to get back into spec on a couple of valves and then only had to order 3 shims to complete the job. I hope yours is as easy.

Doug

I would look thru some of the information here:

https://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Valve_Shim_Change_FAQ_GS.htm

Having both an 850r and a 650GS I would say the process is a world apart. More difficult.

You would wait until you determine if you need to change the shims before ordering any.

First you find an out of spec clearance and then you remove the shim to see what size it is so you can order a thicker or thinner size.

It seems that Harley Davidson has a motor that uses the same shims but has them in smaller increments (0.25 mm) than BMW if you have something really close.

You will need an adapter for pulling the spark plug cap/coil from the plug. http://www.marcparnes.com/BMW_Plug_Tool.htm

I found some of the tupperware fastener threads easy to damage. Need to be gentle.

Valve cover was easy to remount incorrectly with the gasket not seated properly.

Probably just me.

I think I only had to change one shim in 50k miles.

One of your spark plug options has a smaller barrel giving you room using a smaller diameter plug wrench than stock. The larger barrel on original equipment plugs require the use of a thin wall plug socket to squeeze into the plug recess.

Good luck.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Good day,

Thank you for the advice. I will plan to do the valve adjustment myself and order shims once disassembled.

Be well, ride safely.
RK

Different bike, but my 2013 R1200R also uses shims. It's a fairly easy procedure. In my case, since I wasn't in a hurry, I measured each valve clearance and removed the shims from the valves that were out of spec. I was able to reuse a couple of the shims to get back into spec on a couple of valves and then only had to order 3 shims to complete the job. I hope yours is as easy.

Doug

Last edited:
RK - I'd check with your local dealer (Which looks like Pandora's?) before you order the shims (if you need any), they will sometimes swap out shims for free.

Good day,

I completed the valve check and fuel filter/sender replacement today. The fuel filter was actually the more difficult to access. Thankfully the valves were within specifications so no shim order or adjustments were required.

I did however notice that the sheathing for the throttle cable was worn through in two spots a few inches from the throttle body. Most odd. I would guess friction to be the explanation but am puzzled by the proximate cause.

Does anyone hove insight on this particular wear pattern?

Be well, ride safely.
RK

DSC_9560.jpgDSC_9560.jpg

Back