• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Black Driveline and Wheels

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
In my search for a GS, I've noticed the newer versions have black drivelines (e.g. engine, swingarm, final drive, etc.) and black wire wheels. From a looks perspective, I think the silver look is better. But, my questions here are on a different note.

My thought is that the black would be harder to keep clean and would show dirt and water spots more. For those how have black drivelines, what has been your experience with this.

I have a tendency to keep things long-term, so what has been people's experience with chips and scratches on the black? How durable is the black finish on the driveline and wheels?

Thanks in advance

I've had both black and silver engines and the color did not seem to make a difference on keeping clean.
Had the K75S black engine for 12 years and K1200RS silver engine for eight years and both looked good when traded in.
The hardest engine to keep clean for me is our R1200RS engines. The boxer has a lot of nooks and crannies, plus cooling fins.
The easiest engines to keep clean were the Brick K bikes.

I've had both black and silver engines and the color did not seem to make a difference on keeping clean.
Had the K75S black engine for 12 years and K1200RS silver engine for eight years and both looked good when traded in.
The hardest engine to keep clean for me is our R1200RS engines. The boxer has a lot of nooks and crannies, plus cooling fins.
The easiest engines to keep clean were the Brick K bikes.

I use a stiff paint brush to clean those fins. Pre spray(Dawn Dish Grease Spray}and then use the paint brush, it may be a wall paper brush, but you get the idea. It does make getting into them easier. No way I am flossing all those fins with a rag.

My '18 GSA has black wheels and driveline vs grey on my RT. dust shows a bit more on the GSA. It cleans up just as well.
Do I realy care? No, it's a "dirt" bike after all. :)

Back