Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel injector help

Well I had replaced the lines and fittings - all of them - when I installed the new tank. There may be something wrong with that installation, but there is plenty of fuel in the line when I disconnect the high pressure line.

Neglected Bike Adopter
    Your replacement of the ignition coil is where I would've gone next, too, given your symptoms so far. The fuel and air and compression and timing are all taken care of, so the bike should run with enough spark.

A word on coil failures: over time, heat cycles can cause the plastic casing of the coil to expand and crack away from its internal epoxy fill, leaving a gap for humid air to enter and corrode the circuitry inside. My own coil had this problem but hadn't started failing yet so I replaced it with a better-condition used one as a precaution.
    An important thing you should do is disconnect your battery while swapping the coil out. The coil uses the Motronic to close its ground circuit and provide spark, and my bike freaked out when I swapped the coil with the battery connected even though the ignition was off. This resulted in no spark when I went to start it and it took me days to figure it out.
    Owner of the saddest 1997 R850R you ever did see.

Success

After a bit of trial and error, I enlisted the help of my local bmw mechanic. I had a couple of problems. The fuel lines were backwards, which I had switched while I was troubleshooting. I also had not correctly tightened the bolt that holds the sprocket in position beneath the alternator belt. I had re-assembled that when checking the hall sensor, I can only assume I reinstalled it incorrectly twice - e.g., not tight enough. Now she starts right up.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Great!
    Itís always nice to hear a successful end to the repair.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

'
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by derrickstone View Post
    After a bit of trial and error, I enlisted the help of my local bmw mechanic. I had a couple of problems. The fuel lines were backwards, which I had switched while I was troubleshooting. I also had not correctly tightened the bolt that holds the sprocket in position beneath the alternator belt. I had re-assembled that when checking the hall sensor, I can only assume I reinstalled it incorrectly twice - e.g., not tight enough. Now she starts right up.
    My prediction is that now you will have a VERY reliable bike (at least where ignition and EFI are concerned). CONGRATULATIONS, now ride it like you stole it!
    2000 BMW R1100RS | Past bikes: 97 Suzuki GS500E, 82 Suzuki GS1100E, 07 Suzuki V-Strom 650