• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's up with the scooter Forum?

rsbeemer
I haven't seen any post on here in a long time. Is it so trouble free and fun to ride that no one has the time to post? I haven't ruled out getting one myself but would like some input from ones with experience on them. Is anyone experiencing any extraordinary problems that we all should know about before buying? Would you buy again or would you take another route? Is it easy to maintain the bike yourself or does it require special tools and no-how to keep it running and how about cost of maintenance. I've read all the old post on here and some are pro and some not but all are old. Inquiring minds want to know or at least mine does.

I bought one for my wife first year they were out, to be honest she didn’t like it. Lots of neat features but a bit heavy in the low speed area. Once moving she was a terror on it, we’re talking triple digit speeds, parking lots were her downfall literally. Kept it 2 years and that was it, I could see some expensive services in the future

Thanks t6pilot

I bought one for my wife first year they were out, to be honest she didn’t like it. Lots of neat features but a bit heavy in the low speed area. Once moving she was a terror on it, we’re talking triple digit speeds, parking lots were her downfall literally. Kept it 2 years and that was it, I could see some expensive services in the future

_________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the feedback; I was wondering if this Forum was still alive and wanting opinions from riders on maintenance issues and costs. I'm still wondering why there isn't much activity on this Forum; is there no interest or nothing to report. Is the newer scooters bullet proof now with prior problems fixed and recalls completed or is there disappointed owners who don't want to say? I await more feedback. thanks again.

Though I don't own one, a quick search on CycleTrader showed some higher-mileage bikes for sale, so some people do ride them beyond the grocery store. The one that impressed me the most was a 2019 C400 with 25k miles - that shows me you can do some mileage on these!

Though I don't own one, a quick search on CycleTrader showed some higher-mileage bikes for sale, so some people do ride them beyond the grocery store. The one that impressed me the most was a 2019 C400 with 25k miles - that shows me you can do some mileage on these!

I've heard of Honda 250 Helix's with > 100K miles, and saw an Ironbutt entry Burgman 400 with over 100K miles a few years back, so even small liquid-cooled scooters can last a long time if maintained properly. Maintenance cost does seem to be a concern with the BMW branded scoots. The Chinese-made 350cc (cx400) also had some initial problems with brakes and stallling. They are nice looking machines, though, and very well finished. The riding position on the 650GT was very comfortable for me but the ride seemed a little rough and noisy compared to its' main competitor. I have not ridden the 350/400 but certainly will when given the opportunity. Modern scoots are easy to ride, most have decent weather protection and many can carry a lot of stuff. They're worth a try anyway, especially for in-town riding.

I had a 2014 C650GT, just under 18,000 miles when I sold it. 2 years of trouble free riding, just maintenance and tires. Did an Iron Butt ride on it and multiple day trips with liter bike friends. Too bad they don't keep developing the 650 or even move to a 750 version. Nice around town machine that can be used for long rides as well with only some shortcomings.

Thanks everyone

I had a 2014 C650GT, just under 18,000 miles when I sold it. 2 years of trouble free riding, just maintenance and tires. Did an Iron Butt ride on it and multiple day trips with liter bike friends. Too bad they don't keep developing the 650 or even move to a 750 version. Nice around town machine that can be used for long rides as well with only some shortcomings.

Appreciate your report bicyclenut. I'm impressed you did the Iron Butt on it, also that you did the Iron Butt.

Appreciate your report bicyclenut. I'm impressed you did the Iron Butt on it, also that you did the Iron Butt.

I count about 10 people who have done at least 1 Iron Butt ride on a C650GT on the IBA Web Page including myself. There is also a women who finished about middle of the pack in an Iron Butt Rally on a C650GT.

After over 40 years riding BMW's. Major health issues forced me to give up my bike. Now have a 650 Burgman. After owning it for about a month. I can report. This maxi can keep up with the big boys just fine. Have had it up to 160 KM/H (100 MPH). Handels Very well. I know, I know, it's not a BMW. But I may look at one now, after this experience.

I resemble that somewhat

After over 40 years riding BMW's. Major health issues forced me to give up my bike. Now have a 650 Burgman. After owning it for about a month. I can report. This maxi can keep up with the big boys just fine. Have had it up to 160 KM/H (100 MPH). Handels Very well. I know, I know, it's not a BMW. But I may look at one now, after this experience.

I purchased a 2013 650 Burgman (via CL and my brother in Texas) recently to ride when I return to Texas. I haven't given up on my rs but it's needs some maintenance first and I wanted something to ride. The Burg only had 5k on it and in my price range. I still want a bmw scoot though, just to know if I'm missing something. I've ridden a 650 Burgman here in Taiwan and really like it and yes it can keep up with the big boys.

I still ride, therefore, I am!

88 years old. Have ridden 330,000 BMW miles since 1959, mostly two up.
We have been to 23 BMWMOA nationals.Last BMW was a R1200R. Wonderful bike, too heavy for an old guy.
Had many different Triumph, BSA and Matchless motorcycles before that.
We have been downgraded to a Honda ADV 150 scooter.
Pros: light weight
good looks
oil change takes less than one qt.
100 MPG
ease onto center stand effortlessly
heat below and behind rider
best of all, under seat storage

Cons. black wheels....ugh!
twitchy ride
can not find road only tires for 13", 14" wheels
4 or 5 instrument light levels. can not see any except speed

We have been downgraded to a Honda ADV 150 scooter.

It is really too bad that American Honda chose not to bring the *real* ADV scooter into our country... the X-ADV 750.

I see them all over Europe and they absolutely haul ass.

Ian

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xv6Hf8Tmcjk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We have them here in Taiwan

It is really too bad that American Honda chose not to bring the *real* ADV scooter into our country... the X-ADV 750.

I see them all over Europe and they absolutely haul ass.

Ian

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xv6Hf8Tmcjk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We have them here but they are expensive and not very popular. Most people here need/want a scooter to commute daily and need under seat storage and an area in floorboard by there feet. It's just not as functional as a traditional scooter. I agree they are fast and probably a lot of fun.

The Kymco AK550 is popular here and beginning to make strides in the US but they are expensive also. Not much difference in a scooter price and a motorcycle price now.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's just not as functional as a traditional scooter. I agree they are fast and probably a lot of fun.

Yeah, I couldn't see one of these for urban traffic... expressways, maybe, but two wheels in rush-hour traffic is never fun.

The place I've seen these ADV scooters the most are in the Alps... and the riders were hauling ass!

Late reply

Yeah, I couldn't see one of these for urban traffic... expressways, maybe, but two wheels in rush-hour traffic is never fun.

The place I've seen these ADV scooters the most are in the Alps... and the riders were hauling ass!

Been there done that and can honestly say all riders in the Alps haul ass.

A tiny bit of Maxi-Scoot input....Zuki Burgman 400 Gen 1 (2006)

I haven't seen any post on here in a long time. Is it so trouble free and fun to ride that no one has the time to post? I haven't ruled out getting one myself but would like some input from ones with experience on them. Is anyone experiencing any extraordinary problems that we all should know about before buying? Would you buy again or would you take another route? Is it easy to maintain the bike yourself or does it require special tools and no-how to keep it running and how about cost of maintenance. I've read all the old post on here and some are pro and some not but all are old. Inquiring minds want to know or at least mine does.

Hey howdy:

I just joined the BMW MOA +.

Riding now in East Texas and have a Suzuki Burgman 400, that is new to me, but 17 years old.

Bought last July, basically half a year ago, with 8,500 miles on her. Barely broken in lol.

I've added almost 10,000 miles since, so she's seeing more road time than in all her prior life.

The original owner rode her like a moped - probably never exceeded 45 mph.

The fact that she wore the ORIGINAL TIRES - 16 YEARS OLD, and hard as a rock, cupped tread and all, and NO tread wear on rear tire, kinda testified to that.

But yeah I really do like the Maxi-Scoot concept.

I'd have bought a BWM (I'm told they're a re-badged Kymco, Taiwanese make), but when buying used in the Summer in rural Texas, you are limited to what's on the market.

The Burgmans have a great reputation, as do Suzuki's in general, so I felt the risk was minimal.

I did have to go through the Owners Manual & do all the maintenance items - new tires, fluids & definitely the CVT Drive Belt.
Which the latter wasn't toast by miles, but by presumed age.

Logic: If the tires that were visible & more readily changed were ORIGINAL, the hidden drive belt is 98 % likely original also.

So, after a few weeks of doing that & local shakedown drives, I set off for the Ozarks for the annual 'Scoot the Ozarks' rally- and upon safe return to East Texas, then set off to tour to San Diego for my 40th High School Reunion.

NOW that was an adventure, and the Scoot did great EXCEPT for a CVT snafu that occured due to my 'in-adequate' maintenance procedure prior.

Not a biggie, but just learned the crucial nature of FULLY Re-Greasing the rear driven pulley for perfect long term performance.

I did see several full Tour Maxi-Scoots at the Ozark Rally:

They mostly seemed to be Burgman 650's, one Kymco AK-550 and also 3 or 4 Burgman 400s like mine.

The Burgman 650s are 2 cylinder & perform at a higher level, for a higher cost & at a more complex maintenance requirement.

The B400s perform at a 75% level but are simpler to fix & cheaper to buy.

For 2 up touring, probably get 1 650 or if she LOVES to pilot, get 2 B400's.

At the Ozark Scoot Rally, I also did learn, Vespas are seemingly 'City Scooters'.

Every Vespa there was trailered in, whereas every Burgman or Kymco were driven / toured in, some from 1500 miles distant.
I was a farily near 450 miles.

BTW, on my San Diego Tour, I went 1600 miles in 4 days - I-40 route basically, with 520 miles being my longest day, from Norther Arizona, Holbrook to El Cajon, CA (East County San Diego)

So, I hope that can provide some needed input to your scooter query.

Cheers - David in East Texas

Back