• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'07 F650gs Clutch Fork Release Lever torque spec?

Just to follow up for future readers. The part did make it on time, and it looks like we will be ale to leave on schedule.

I think one of the key things that came out of this thread, is that there is that groove cut into the shaft, and as long as the bolt is in place, the arm will not come off. Therefore, it doesn't need much torque. This also means that to remove the arm, you need to take the bolt all the way out, not just loosen it, thinking that releases the arm from the shaft. I'm guessing that some of the accounts I've read in other places of the arm being so hard to remove were due to people trying to take it off with the bolt loose, but still in place.

I am very careful about over-tightening bolts, having done it too many times earlier in life. I was very surprised when this arm just snapped when I was trying to remove it. I don't have a picture, but if you look at the picture of the arm mechanism earlier in this thread, mine broke at about the 7 o'clock position.

I put it back on with just a touch of LocTite on the threads, and just snugged it up a reasonable amount to tension the bolt and fully engage the splines. I used a small vise grip with a cloth in the jaws to turn the shaft as far counterclockwise as I could. It becomes pretty obvious where the arm needs to go on the shaft if you hadn't marked it when you took it off. Placed too far to the rear, and it will hit the frame when the shaft is released. Too far to the front, and it won't reach the release point.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Back