• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hard start

arkmark

2012 r1200rt, for about a month now it has been taking my bike 3 tries to start when cold. It will try to run and die, do that a couple times and then starts. Once or twice after starting when taking off it has died as well. Any ideas? I’ve got a video but don’t know how to post it.

Make sure you are using the recommended oil viscosity. When I used 20W-50 in my 2012 RT it was harder to start, especially in cooler weather. It acted exactly as you describe. 10W-40 cured the problem.

It doesn’t have a problem cranking. It fires right up but only for a couple seconds and dies then the second time it runs a couple seconds longer and dies and usually the third time it will stay running.

It doesn’t have a problem cranking. It fires right up but only for a couple seconds and dies then the second time it runs a couple seconds longer and dies and usually the third time it will stay running.

sounds like fuel delivery which is taking a while to get going properly

just had the problem with my Audi A4 which had been sitting a while, it was like the whole system drained out and it took multiple attempts to get the system fully primed and pressurized with no air in it

My '11 can be finicky if she's sat for awhile without any lovin, takes a couple tries to get her to clear her throat and run well, but it's never stalled after I ride off. I'd try a fuel conditioner/water remover just because it's cheap. Other than that are valve shims in spec? Throttle bodies sync'd? If those are ok, I'm stumped.

Maybe JVB can weigh in.

Assuming it’s still doing this after a full service (new plugs, valve check, etc. etc.) I would next look at the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump, checking fuel pressure at the rail. From the description it sounds to me like the bike is not getting sufficient fueling at startup. But a full service should still be the first thing on the list.

Best,
DeVern

It has a good full service on it throttlebody‘s in sync valves set dead center of the tolerances and new plugs. My other thought is the throttle position sensor. So if anyone knows a way to check the throttle position sensor and how much fuel pressure should I have at the rail. I do believe that it is a fuel delivery issue

question to all is whether a leaky injector could drain a large part of the system but I guess if you opened the oil fill port you might be able to smell fuel in the oil etc.

May be able to do a check by turning the key on for 5 seconds- then off. Repeat twice more for a total of 3 times and see if 4th try (actually trying to start the bike) makes a difference.
OM

It has a good full service on it throttlebody‘s in sync valves set dead center of the tolerances and new plugs. My other thought is the throttle position sensor. So if anyone knows a way to check the throttle position sensor and how much fuel pressure should I have at the rail. I do believe that it is a fuel delivery issue

You can "reset" the throttle position sensor (TPS) by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Then turning on the ignition to the bike, then rolling the throttle fully on and then off, for a total of three times, and then turning off the ignition. This helps the bike know what the TPS is doing. A GS911 also has a procedure where you can reset the TPS's to a known position as well as allowing you to read what resistance they are currently at.

I think it is starting too rich and then tending to die. After the initial attempts it is then OK. I do suspect a leaky injector allowing a little fuel into a combustion chamber so it starts rich.

Back