• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to "recommision" a low mileage bike

ashevillert

I'm currently looking at 2 2016 BMW's that are original owner with <2000 miles. Same story on both- owners bought them and never used them. First 600 miles service done and garaged with a tender. The one I rode ran fine. With the poor quality fuel I'm concerned about long term issues with ethanol essentially sitting in the tanks. If the idle is smooth and there are no stumbles should I worry about it?
Obviously the service light is on and I'd do a full service including flush with the GS911.
Tires would need to be replaced.
Battery would need to be replaced.
What am I missing?
Thanks

Do you know for sure the bikes were stored with ethanol fuel?
Did the owner put Stabil in the tanks?

Welcome to the forum.

Drain the gas and try to find non ethanol fuel in your area. It is billed as REC90 in many places. There is an app called PureGas for apple and 'droid phones.
Change all the fluids, oil(s) brake and clutch. No need for a valve check as there aren't enough miles on them and should have been checked at the 600 mile service.
Maybe run a fuel system cleaner through the bike with fresh gas and enjoy!
Welcome to the club!

Do you know for sure the bikes were stored with ethanol fuel?
Did the owner put Stabil in the tanks?

Welcome to the forum.

Doubtful they used stabil and I wouldn’t trust it for that long anyways. Both of the guys are super nice but think services only are done on miles regardless of time. They probs LT don’t understand REC90.
I guess I could get carried away and look at the inside of the tank with my borescope.

Doubtful they used stabil and I wouldn’t trust it for that long anyways. Both of the guys are super nice but think services only are done on miles regardless of time. They probs LT don’t understand REC90.
I guess I could get carried away and look at the inside of the tank with my borescope.

These are non-metallic tanks so tank corrosion isn’t in play, and I think by 2000 or so BMW had largely resolved the dissolving of in-tank rubber bits that we saw on the brick-k bikes. I’d go for a full service then drain the fuel, refill with fresh non-ethanol 89-91 and the proper dosage of BG-44 (NAPA), and ride it like I stole it. You should be able to cut a good deal on 5yr-old bikes.

Best,
DeVern

I just did the same thing on a 2011 that had sat since 2014. It was almost empty, if it had been full I would have siphoned it as dry as I could. I added 5 gals of quality 93 octane, a can of BG-44 and rode it. Been adding fuel treatment every other fuel tank since and it runs great. No issues.

These are non-metallic tanks so tank corrosion isn’t in play, and I think by 2000 or so BMW had largely resolved the dissolving of in-tank rubber bits that we saw on the brick-k bikes. I’d go for a full service then drain the fuel, refill with fresh non-ethanol 89-91 and the proper dosage of BG-44 (NAPA), and ride it like I stole it. You should be able to cut a good deal on 5yr-old bikes.

Best,
DeVern

Good input.
The deals are strong on the bikes slightly out of favor. I really don't like most of the new features so it's a good fit for me.

Good input.
The deals are strong on the bikes slightly out of favor. I really don't like most of the new features so it's a good fit for me.

It's not a popular model so used ones usually go for a cheap price.
It's nice you have two very low mileage ones to choose from.
It's a great bike, my wife and I have been very happy with our RSs.
What accessories do the bikes have?

Back